NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, March 5, 2020

THE AXEMEN INTERVIEW : Derek Vigil / From Ash to Stone




1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

 My name is Derek Vigil and I am the guitarist for From Ash to Stone

 

2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar 


My dad was a major influence on playing guitar as well as my grandpa

3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?


 I was originally self taught but lately have been taking lessons to hone my skill a little more


4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?


 I learned to read sheet music playing the saxophone in junior high and I hope every guitarist can read tab haha. .


5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ? 


As far as tone goes.. somewhat, my rig is based off of a common metal package tone but my style is it what separates me from the rest.


6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )


 I mainly use two guitars. The first is an Ibanez premium with an amazing burl top, mahogany body, an 11 piece neck with a panga panga fret board and dimarzio pickups that scream. Its blue one the edges that fad to the natural burl in the middle. The second is my 8 string Kiesel Vader which is also blue. It has the white lithium pickups and 5 way selector switch.

 

7.What about pickups? Passive or active ?


 Tell us about them Both my pick ups are passive. The lithium pickups are a lot brighter and have a little less gain compared to the dimarzios which are pretty high gain for a passive pickup. I am in love with the dimarzio tone as of lately. I used to rock the emg81/85 combo in my les paul which I currently have, but recently switched to passives to get a wider variation of playing stlye. My emgs were run on two 9v batteries, so it was like ultra high gain all the time. I enjoy playing leads on the passive pickups though.


8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc 


My amp is a rack mount set up with a furman power powering a line 6 hd x pro (amp modulator) being powered by a QSC 300w power amp. I am super in love with this combo and was considering axe fx but for the price my line 6 sounds really close. I originally got this set up because of my 8 string and was told that the digital sound would pick up my low end a little
clearer and it ended up being true. I will probably never go back to tube after getting this rig. The final output is Celestion speakers coming out of a refinished cab ( rewrapped in red vinyl)


  

9.Do you have a pedal board? 


Tell us about that badboy The best part about the pod hd is that the pedals are built in. Screamer pedals, delay, noise gates, anything you van think of. I usually run on the 6505 amp with some extra distortion pedals and a noise gate to top it off. I do have a MK2 pedal board that links straight to my rack mound pod hd x pro so I can change channels and pedals on the go live so that helps substantially. 


10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail….. 


Honestly I almost own my dream rig except id swap out my cab for a Mesa and get an Axe Fx, ive been drooling over these for months.


11.What guitarist can you not stand? 


The guitarists from ACDC only because Ive overheard it like a gazillion times since childhood.

12. Is tone more important or is technique? I would say technique is more important because it is easier to fix tone than technique

13. Name your top 5 guitarist 


Tim Hensen 
Scott Lepage
 Chris Storey
 Willie Adler
 JB Brubaker

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist 


Yngwie Malmstein 
 

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive? 


Tim Hense

No comments:

Post a Comment