NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, September 19, 2019

THE AXEMEN SERIES : Dale "Slinky" Qualls of McCuin


 1.Tell us your name and the band you play for.


 Dale "Slinky" Qualls, McCuin
   


2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar 

3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons? .

 Self taught, was shown a few chords here and there

4.Can you read music, Can you read tab? 
 
 I read music very little in school trying to learn piano. I do read tab though!

5. Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ? 
 
 Somewhat, yes, somewhat no. I always am over-critical of everything I do so sometimes I think I sound too much like this or that and not unique enough. Always searching and learning!

6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color ) 
 
 I have a black with white bevel Jackson King V JS32 that has been upgraded and tweaked, and a Rhoads V black with red bevels that has also been upgraded. I have always loved the mid to low end Jacksons for some reason.
  
7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them 
 
 EMG 81-85's. Played passive for years but wanted more attack and different tone.

8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc 
 
 Randall Diavlo 100 watt tube half stack. Love the tone and the thick lows you can pull from those.

9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy 
 
 Digitech RP1000. Always been a Digitech guy. Ease of use is a big plus for me for changes on the fly.

10.Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail….. 
   
 Randall Diablo full stack, rack mount eq, Sonic Maximizer, and still gotta have my Digitech! Maybe an extra Crybaby Wah to change it up a bit.

11. What guitarist can you not stand? 
 
That's a hard one....for style and tone alone I would have to say Keith Richards. His sound is so trashy to me.

12. Is tone more important or is technique?
 
They go hand in hand. That's like the nature vs. nuture debate!

13Name your top 5 guitarist 
Dimebag Darrell, 
Randy Rhoads,
Eric Johnson,
Dave Mustaine,
Kirk Hammett.

14. Who is the most overrated guitarist 
 
There are many....but probably Kurt Cobain

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?
 
 Easy one! Dimebag Darrell no question!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Dale Quills he's one of a kind brotha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very lucky to call Dale my dear friend. There's not a fake bone in his body, he's as real as they get and just as talented! McCuin's new album in fantastic. HERE HERE DALE, I'LL GETCHA PULL WITH YOU!! Hope tonight's show was awesome!

    ReplyDelete