NIGHTMARE TOYS

Friday, March 27, 2020

THE AXEMEN GUITAR INTERVIEW My name is Christian Mechem, "The Stone Eye."

1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

My name is Christian Mechem, and the band I play for is "The Stone Eye."

2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar

My brother was my first major influence in picking up the guitar. He would play for me at a young age, and would teach me rudimentary chords. I was so mesmerized by the instrument, that I couldn't wait to start lessons.

3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

I had a few teachers leading up to age 18. But I feel that most of what I've learned on the guitar stems from hours of practicing alone, and learning information online and in books. For the last four years, I've been completely self taught. 

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?

I can read both music, and tab. I went to school to study classical composition, and have gained most of my facility for sight reading music from reading scores of classical music. 
As for Tab, I began reading guitar tab at age 14, through looking up song tabs online.

  

5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?

I'd like to think I have my own sound. Most of my playing is inspired not only from rock guitar, but also from classical music performance. I tend to play my instrument with a lot of "horizontal" vibrato, in a way that emulates a violin, rather than the standard "blues" vibrato that is so common in rock.  


6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )

Right now I'm playing on two guitars. One is a Gretsch G5238T Electromatic Pro Jet, 2010 Model, Gold-top. The other is a Hagstrom. The model is called Hagstrom 3, and its from 1966, with a natural finish.

7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them

Passive on both guitars. On the Gretsch I have mini humbuckers, which have an incredibly versatile sound, from a very earthy bass, to a sharp and biting treble. On the Hagstrom I have 3 independently controlled single coil pickups, that give the guitar a vintage sound, that provides a lot of clarity and earthy low ends.

8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc

Right now I'm playing on a used Fender Hot Rod Deville PR247, 2x12, 180W, Early 2000's

9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy

I'm currently using a small pedal board with some basic effects. A MXR Fet Driver for Overdrive, an Ibanez Tube Screamer for light distortion, a Blue Hippo by Way Huge Electronics for chorus and vibe, and an Electro Harmonix Micro-Pog for Octave effects. Then lastly, a Vox Wah Pedal.

10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..

I have pretty simple goals as far as an ideal Rig. I want a nice Fender amp, and a Fender Stratocaster, and I'm set!

11.What guitarist can you not stand?

Lil Wayne.

I12. Is tone more important or is technique?

Personally technique and tone go hand in hand. I think it's really important for guitarists to develop an unique tone on their instrument. The tone of a player tells a story, and I personally don't want to hear the same story over and over again. As for technique, I think it's also just as important for guitarists to constantly improve their facility. There's so much information to learn about this instrument, and we might as well uncover all we can!


13. Name your top 5 guitarist

Antoine Boyer, Robert Fripp, Frank Zappa, B.B. King, and Devin Townsend. Those are currently my favorites.

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist

I don't know...Nick Jonas

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

Frank Zappa! I idolize that man, and I'm constantly inspired by his approach to guitar and composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment