NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, March 26, 2020

AXEMAN INTERVIEW DJ WILSON (RHYTHM GUITARS) Infinite Sin






AXEMAN INTERVIEW DJ WILSON

(RHYTHM GUITARS)



Q: Tell us your name and the band you play for

A:My name is DJ Wilson and I play rhythm guitar for Infinite Sin.

Q: Who made you want to pick up the guitar?

A: In the early 80s I was really into MTV watching music videos with bands such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Ratt, Motley Crue, Dokken, Quiet Riot, etc. which were very popular during that time but also enjoyed listening to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Nazareth, Ted Nugent, and so many more. That eventually progressed into the Headbangers Ball years with bands such as Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Armored Saint, Overkill, Metal Church, Testament, and so many more!!! My step dad plays guitar and built my brother and I a couple of small portable amplifiers using a couple of small cardboard boxes and some electronic components from some old tape recorders and other odds and ends he had kicking around when I was around 6. The first guitar was just an entry level beginners guitar. I took a few lessons but did not have the patience with the instructor to learn guitar his way at the time. A few years later, I picked up the guitar again but began self teaching learning some of my favorite songs by tab, jamming friends, other guitarists, and by ear. Over time, I began developing my own style blended in with a lot of my influences over the years. I would have to say, my biggest influences at that time were Steve Via, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, and George Lynch.

Q: Are you self-taught or did you take lessons ?

A: Mostly Self-taught

Q: Can you read music , can you read tablature ?

A: I can read tablature.

Q: Do you feel like you have your own sound /tone ?

A: I tend to blend a variety of styles and influences over the years and established my own style.

Q: Tell us about your guitar .
   

A: I initially played mostly Ibanez RG series, Ibanez Saber 7 string, and Jackson early on which I still have. I am currently playing Schechter guitars with Infinite Sin. I have both the Schechter Apocalypse six string and seven string guitars in red, Floyd Rose tremolo, Sustainiac and Alnico V magnet pickups. I also have the Schechter hellraiser hybrid 7 string fixed bridge guitar with active EMG pickups. Each guitar brings a different tone to the table depending on the mood and what sound I am going for.

Q: What about pickups ? Passive or active ? Tell us about them .

A: I have both active and passive guitars. Sustainiac and Alnico V magnet pickups and EMGs (Schechter's)

Q: Let's get into amplification .

A: I am currently playing through a Rocktron Prophecy 2 , Midimate foot controller, Mesa 2 x 100 tube power amp , Mesa 412 cab, and a Hughes and Kettner Attax 400 watt 412 gig cab.

Q: Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that bad boy.

A: My stomp boxes and Mesa duel rectifier head is currently in storage for the time being. I was running Ibanez stomp boxes for chorus, delay, flange, and a TS9 tube screamer on occasions ,but currently just using my rack system with the MIDI for controller.

Q: Now tell us your dream ring in detail .

A: The prophecy 2 and my current rack system does pretty much everything I want right now. It took me years to find my current sound. It has great tone and well matched with the Schechter guitars with no feedback issues and great tone control.

Q: What guitarist can you not stand ?

A: I am going to remain neutral on this one. Everybody has their spin on music and what they like. Not everybody's ears are going to be welcoming to everybody's guitar style.

Q: Is tone more important or is it technique ?

A: I believe tone and technique go hand in hand. You have to start with a good tone that you like in order to get into the feel and groove of what you are playing. I spent a lot of time working with my pick technique and palm muting technique in order to develop the desired sound I was looking for. It is also important to be able to control what you are getting for sound out to your amplifier from your instrument.

Q: Name your top five guitarists.

A: Steve Vai, George Lynch, Randy Rhoads, Alex Skolnick, Dimebag.... There are many others including Dave Mustaine, Zakk Wylde, Gia G, but I am only supposed to list five. It is very hard to rate a guitarist because each musician brings their own creativity and flavor to the table and there are so many great underrated guitarists out there including ones from a lot of the bands above from my early influences.

Q: Who is the most overrated guitarist?

A: There are many, but it really depends on your perception of things. You can look at it as who is the most technical and advanced musician or look at creativity. You don't have to be the best guitarist to be creative and I think that has been proven time and time again if you are creative and have the ability to come up with something that grabs people and pulls them in and can relate to.

Q: Who would you like a one hour private sitdown lesson with dead or alive ?
  

A: That is a tough one, there are so many different techniques from different guitarists and musicians over the years that have influenced me in one way or another. If I had to choose, I would have to say Alex Skolnick, since I am a huge Testament fan, but I've always been a fan of George Lynch's guitar style as well. Mr Scary is one of my favorite instrumentals. If we were back in the 80s, my answer would've been Steve Vai. It is a tough choice as every musician has their own voice or spin on their own self-expression through music. I am enjoying working with Gia G who is an amazing guitarist and musician that I'm sure I could learn a lot from. I think it's important that no matter who you learn from, you develop your own voice and style to express yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment