NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, September 22, 2019

THE AXEMEN SERIES : NICK GROBE OF EXSINGUISH THE SUN




1.Tell us your name and the band you play for 

My Name is Nick Grobe.  I play guitar in the band Extinguish the Sun.




2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar


The person who made me want to start playing guitar was actually Joey DeMaio, the bass player for Manowar. I freaked when I heard him on their record “Sign of the Hammer” and  I went into the local guitar shop to get a bass. The salesman there talked me INTO getting an electric guitar.
 



3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?


I took lessons at the same shop I mentioned above.. For 2 or 3 years I think.
.

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?


Pretty much just tab.  I did a single semester as a music major at my local community college when I was younger and I briefly learned how to read music (poorly) in my classical guitar class. I have since forgotten all of it.

.

5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?


 Im not really sure honestly.  I think overall me, Jer (guitar) and Dan (bass) have a unique sound.  I like how things sound together.  Ive never really been a gear or “tone” guy.  Ive always really just wanted something that sounded consistently good that I didnt have to worry about too much.  That being said a couple years ago I switched back to using tube amps and also got into different pedals and effects -  and now Im a lot happier and more interested in tone.


6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )

  

 For years I used a Hamer Diablo that I LOVED.  I still have it but lately have been playing a Bossman from Hard Luck Kings - not an expensive guitar by any means, but I actually like the way it plays and sounds (i think it might give me whatever “uniqueness” my tone has) and Ive stuck with it - for now at least.



7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? 


Tell us about them
Passive for sure.  I dont really like the idea of having to worry about another battery somewhere.  In the above mentioned Bossman, I put a Lace Drop and Gain pickup in the bridge position.  The neck pickup is just whatever the stock Bossman pickup is and its fat as hell and just plain gnarly.  That can be heard at the end of “South by Southwest” on our first release.



8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc


My head is a Peavey 6505+ which I play through a Mesa 4x12 cabinet.
  



9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy


Yes I do.  Whats in it sort of rotates a bit here and there depending, but most of the time its a Boss “TU2” Tuner which Ive had forever and will probably have forever.  A Crybaby BASS wah, TC Electronics Thunderstorm Flanger, TC Elec Hall of Fame Reverb 2, Boss Harmonist, Boss GE7 EQ and a Jam Man solo 2 looper / sampler.  The Jam Man is a new addition that Im still trying to figure out - to see if it could add anything cool to our live show.
    


10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..


I dont really think I have a “Dream” rig. Or at least I dont know right now what it would be.  There are definitely a bunch of killer rigs out there, but until I hear it Ill just stick with what I have. lol.

11.What guitarist can you not stand?

 No idea. I cant think of any guitarists I cant stand.

I12. Is tone more important or is technique?


My gut says technique, but im sure they are interchangeable. Ive seen guitarists that I think are good but their tone is really bad..but Ive also seen some really great players with zero gear that I like to listen to a lot.


13. Name your top 5 guitarist
In no particular order..
Larry Lalonde, 

Brent Hinds, 
Bill Kelliher, 
Janick Gers,
John Baizley

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist


Not sure about that one either.

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?


I would probably have to pick Bill Kelliher of Mastodon.  I honestly wouldnt even want a lesson - not that I dont think he could teach me something - He’s great.  But if I had the opportunity I’d rather just talk with him about writing and music in general.




1 comment: