NIGHTMARE TOYS

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

THE AXEMEN SERIES : Mike Joseph of PREY UPON



1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

I'm Mike, I'm the guitarist for Prey Upon out of Long Island, NY



2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar


Good question, I started playing guitar when I was 15, I was a sophomore in high school and a friend of mine was talking about guitars one day and I was influenced from and had thoughts of playing live music when I was younger than that, Also looking up to the guys in bands like Korn, Orgy, Drowning Pool, Static-X, Metallica, Flaw, Adema, Coal Chamber, etc


3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?



I was self-taught, how ever I did have other guitarists that I've jammed with teach me quite a few things that have helped me progress over the years
.

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab? 


Yes I can read both, music has been in my family for a long time




5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?
I've worked on my guitar tone for a long time, whether it's changing out a pedal, or a pre-amp to improve my sound, so I can say that I do.

6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )
I own several guitars, I mainly use Ibanez RGs models, 2 of them are black and 1 is like a grey/silver color


7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them
I stick with passive, I use the dimebag dimebuckers. They are one of the hottest pick ups out there, very bright and crunchy


8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc
 I use a rack setup, so I'm running a Peavey Classic 120 power amp, with an ADA MP1 pre-amp, going into a BBE Sonic Maximizer which phattens up the sound, and my cabinets have Madison Archers and Eminence speakers in them
 


9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy
Yup, my pedal board are all boss, I have a DD-5 Digital Delay that has a nice echo sound to it, a PH-3 Phase Shifter to get that wetter modulation sound, a CH-1 Super Chorus, TU-2 Chromatic Tuner, and FV-50 Foot Volume.


10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..


There's so many amps out there to name, I'd love to own and Axe-FX, a rack mounted Mesa, or even a triple rectifier


11.What guitarist can you not stand?
There's no guitarist that I hate or can't stand, I just don't like the cocky attitudes from guitarist that think their hot shots

  

12. Is tone more important or is technique?
Well it's a bit of both, you want to have the skills and a good quality sound to present yourself

13. Name your top 5 guitarist
There's so many to name...Alexi Laiho

, Mike Sprietzer, 
Brian "Head" Welch,
 Koichi Fukuda, 
Amir Derakh 
 in no particular order

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist
That's a tough question, I'd have to say every guitarist is talented in the their own way, one could be better than the other skill wise, then another could be great with putting an awesome song together


15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

I'd love to have a lesson with Dimebag Darrell, he's one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived, it's sad what happened to him and I give nothing but respect to him for what he did for this national music scene

No comments:

Post a Comment