NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, September 19, 2019

THE AXEMEN SERIES : Rob Elliott of Necrodemon

1.Tell us your name and the band you play for?

Rob Elliott

Necrodemon - Guitars and Vocals   (1998 to present)

Hellgrind - Guitars and Backing Vocals   (2016 to present)

Lordes Werre - Guitars and Vocals   (1993 to 1998)
   



2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar?



Listening to all the Thrash metal bands in the 80's made me want to play guitar! I couldn't get enough of it. Metal all day, all the time! Alex Skolnick was a very big influence.




3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?



I am mostly self taught but, I have had a few lessons. Chris Elliott (no relation), from the band Afterlife taught me quite a bit in 1990. I usually spent time learning all I could by myself. I read books, I watched videos, and I sat playing for hours.




4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?



Yes I can read both. I learned to read music early on in Junior High School. I do prefer tab though. I believe that any musician should read music and understand their instrument's tab. I believe transcribing your music to paper or into the computer is very important especially when writing.




5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?



Yes I do. I prefer older amps. To me personally, they have a distinct sound. I actually like solid state amps. Most people think I am crazy for that haha! I have been trying to merge old and new metal for years now. I think it works well.

  



6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )



Black Jackson Kelly. I refuse to play anything else! The current two are a 2005 model and a 2011 model. I am about due for new one and to retire the 2005. The only other guitar I have owned that came remotely close to a Jackson Kelly's playability and body perfection was a 1988 Ibanez 540S. That guitar was bad ass. I wish I still owned it.




7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them.



I use active EMG 81 humbucking pickups in both the neck and bridge positions. Most use an 85 in the neck position, but I prefer an 81 in there. Great tone, great volume, great distortion, and excellent feedback especially for whammy bar sounds and certain harmonics. They just sound heavy and clear! I have been an EMG user since 1998.




8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc.


I use Randall amps. I own 2 RH200SC amplifiers. I also have one Raven RG100.  As far as cabinets go, I have two Randall 412's with Eminence speakers, one custom made cabinet with two Eminence speakers and two EV speakers, and one Line 6 Spider 412 with Celestion speakers.


9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy.


I do not use pedals. I believe in just using the amp and cranking the distortion! Old school!


10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..


That I am still working on. I guess if I had to nail it down to anything similar it would be a combo of Jeff Hanneman's rig from the 90's and Alex Skolnick's rig from the 80's. I think if those two could be combined it would be perfect. I of course would have to have all that gear and tweak all the sounds together. Mostly Hanneman's for rhythm and Skolnick's for leads. But a combination of the two. It's kind of hard to describe in words.


11.What guitarist can you not stand?
 

Dimebag Darrell. I cannot stand him or the band Pantera. I am not saying he sucks, I just cannot handle it. He has millions of albums sold and was huge worldwide so I cannot rip him apart. My thing is, when Pantera comes on, I have to leave or get out of earshot. Not my style at all.



12. Is tone more important or is technique?
 

Both are equally important I believe.  Trying to achieve the best in both aspects is the way to go! There is no plateau. You can ALWAYS get better and sound better.



13. Name your top 5 guitarist:

Chris Broderick,

 Marty Friedman,
George Lynch, 
Marek "Spider" Pajak, 
Rob Cavestany,
Alex Skolnick.
I know that is 6 but I had to put them all!



14.Who is the most overrated guitarist?

Any top 40 radio or mainstream guitarists. It's all crap and disgusting to my ears. If it's not Metal, then it should die! Pop music for the last twenty years has been horrible.

   




15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

Chris Poland




























No comments:

Post a Comment