NIGHTMARE TOYS

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

THE AXEMAN SERIES : Nicholas Roy of DOAN and Xplicit Noize

 

1.Tell us your name and the band you play for
My name is Nicholas Roy and i play DOAN and Xplicit Noize.

2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar
James Hetfield is the one who made me want to play the guitar! I Just love heavy rhythms riffs!

3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?
I’ve learned the guitar by myself playing the songs of Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Sepultura and many others.
.
4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?
I can’t read music but i can read tabs for sure!

.5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?
Yeah i do! Being a self taught guitar player, i’ve developed my own playing to achieve the sound I wanted. So i don’t have a very conventional playing style but it works for me! 
  

6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )
I play PRS CE 22’s. Unhappy with the guitar I had back then, i went into a Montreal store one day and ask the salesman to help me out in finding THE guitar for me. So, he set up an amp and a bench for me and just keep bringing on different guitars, around a dozen of them, until this red PRS CE 22. Instantly, this guitar just felt right for me! I bought it! And it’s been the core of my tone since then. The year after,  I've ordered a second one directly from PRS. A whale blue with a flame maple top. And 3 years ago, I found a yellow maple top one for sale that have been played  a lot but it sound very good. So now I have 3 of them and I still look often ads for another one!  


7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them
The pickups in my PRS’s all are originals PRS Dragon 2. They are well balanced medium to high output pickups that can suit a lot of different styles of music.

8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc
For DOAN, I have a MESA 3 channels Dual Rectifier in a Mesa oversized Rectifier cab For Xplicit Noize, i have a Marshall Mode 4 in a Mesa oversized Rectifier cab, the cabs are both loaded with V30’s.
 


9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy
For DOAN, my pedal chain is: guitar - Shure GLXD16 wireless - Morley Volume - Morley Tremonti Wah - Electro Harmonix POG2 - Electro Harmonix Op-amp Big Muff - Bogner Ecstacy Red overdrive - Xotic EP booster - MXR Phase 90 - Rocktron Guitar Silencer - TC electronics Flashback x 4 - TC electronics Hall Of Fame - Amp. All the pedal board is powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 and Voodoo Labs Iso 5. A Voodoo Labs PX-8 pedal switcher is helping me switching all of this and a Midi Voodoo Labs switcher take care of the amp channel switching!
For Xplicit Noize, my pedal chain is: guitar - Shure GLXD16 wireless - Cry Baby 535Q Wah - Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor - NS-2 fx loop ( Friedman BE OD - Boss BF-3 Flanger - Boss PS-6 Harmonist ) - Boss DD-20 Delay - Aphex Guitar Xciter - amp  

10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..
Another Mesa Dual Rectifier with the cab to setup a stereo rig and a PRS made to my taste and specs.

11.What guitarist can you not stand?
Any shredding guitarist that is just trying to play as many notes as possible per second just to show off! To me a solo must tell you a story, must have a melodie and most of all, it should serve the song!

12. Is tone more important or is technique?
To me, both are important. Great tone with no technique will sound bad and great technique with a shitty tone will also sound bad!
  

13. Name your top 5 guitarist
There’s so many!!! Let’s say, Jame Hetfield, Adam Jones, Jerry Cantrell, Mark Tremonti and Tom Morello.

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist
Hard to say one! It’s a matter of taste! See question 11 answer!

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?
Right now i’d say Adam Jones!


Metal Coffee is proud to represent Doan 

No comments:

Post a Comment