NIGHTMARE TOYS

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

THE AXEMAN SERIES : GRIMTONE

  


Origin: Sweden
Style: Black Metal

Line-up:
Michael Lang – All instruments
Liam Micuda – Vocals

Formed in 2016, Grimtone is a black metal duo from Sweden. The music is pure second wave black metal with influences from DSBM on the vocals; Grim, harsh and cold.




1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

I'm Michael and I play guitar (and bass) in Grimtone

2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar

I'm not really sure if there was one guy only. When I started playing (mid 80's) I was inspired by the whole metal scene. I wanted to play metal.

3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

I have taken lessons in music theory and know my way around scales and stuff. I don't think too much about it when I play though. I believe I've learnt the most from playing along to records and playing with other musicians.

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?
  


I used to, but I haven't sight read in decades, so I don't think I could today. Tabs on the other hand is something I read from time to time.

5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?
I guess, I mean it's hard for me to tell, but I think I have a certain tone to my playing. If you've played guitar (and bass) for well over 30 years, you develop a personal style.

6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )

For Grimtone I use an old beat up Schecter, it's a piece of shit guitar really, but it has a certain mojo that works very well for this band.
For clean tones I use a Squire from the 90's.

7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them

Only passive. I used to have an ESP explorer with EMG's, but I never liked the sound.


8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc

Since Grimtone is a studio project only (we never play live) I don't even own a proper guitar amp. I use what ever plug in is available in the computer when I record, mainly Amplitube.
I own a couple of bass rigs though; Aguilar tone hammer 500/Aguilar 8x10 cab and EBS classic 450/EBS 8x10 cab.

9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy

No, not for my guitar playing. I play bass in a couple of bands though and have a pedal board for rehearsals and live shows with those bands. Mainly EBS pedals for distortion and compression.

10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..

I don't think I have one. Possibly an old 60's strat and an old Marshall plexi, that would be quite cool to have.

11.What guitarist can you not stand?

It's not for me to pass judgement on others. To each his own.

I12. Is tone more important or is technique?

Tone, without a shadow of a doubt. To have both is optimal of course, but to only have technique and no tone is dreadful. That's not music.

13. Name your top 5 guitarist

Gary Moore, Eddie Van Halen, John Sykes, Ritchie Blackmore and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist

Me.

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

This one is easy.. Gary Moore. His tone, phrasing, sense of melody.. Ah, man, what player he was. The master. 










No comments:

Post a Comment