NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, May 3, 2020

CORONA INTERVIEW : Craig Meinhart / Silvertonguedevil

1.Tell us who you are with and what youve been up to in 2020 so far?

My name is Craig Meinhart, and I'm the singer/lyricist for Silvertonguedevil & Acoustic Devil. The year started off hot for us because we'd released our new album PAX SATANICA back in October 2019 and were busy out promoting that. We were hitting up all our usual stops like Austin, Houston, San Antonio, OKC, etc, and had shows booked across the South and West all the way to summer. We played at a Horror Con in February called Cult Classic Convention in Bastrop TX where they made THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE,and played the Deep Ellum Metal Fest here in Dallas in March. And that was the last thing we've been able to do. 
  

2.What plans have the virus changed for the band?

Pretty much everything. Not only did we have a ton of shows across the country booked, but were working on getting onto different festivals as well. We regularly play shows throughout the Southwest, but we were in the middle of booking a bunch of new places for us when everything came to a stop. 

3.Do you think the virus in the big picture is help or hindrance for bands?

It's all bad for everyone so far music wise, but things could always be worse. You gotta stay positive, man, even when it's hard. It sucks because not only us but our friends are all greatly affected, from losing shows to losing jobs to getting sick or even worrying about getting sick. But eventually we'll come out of the other side of this thing, and that's what I'm focusing on. 

4.Are you doing live streams or special video’s / releases for your fans stuck at home?
  

My bandmates are scattered across the DFW metroplex, so we haven't been able to get together during the quarantine. Sadly, no live streams for us. But I am working on a new music video for Acoustic Devil while we have some downtime, and am looking forward to getting that out there. 

5.What are you doing in quarantine that would surprise people?

I don't know if it would surprise anyone, but one of the things I was doing right when the pandemic hit was shooting my first horror short. I've written stories for years, and do the bands' music videos and my podcast Warlord Radio, but I hadn't yet made a short movie. So I've been busy editing INTO DUST and touching up some other scripts. 

6.What has been your mainstay music or netflix ?
  

Both. I still go in to work everyday (I'm essential, damnit), and work on various projects after that. But when I'm winding down at night I like to listen to music and watch movies. I also like reading books (currently reading Ed Lee's WHITE TRASH GOTHIC) and gaming (DOOM ETERNAL is kicking my ass). 

7.Will you think differently about touring? And about groupies?

Still waiting for the whole groupie thing to kick in. Maybe we're doing it wrong, but I don't see too many metal bands living the MOTLEY CRUE lifestyle. It's hard to predict the future, and like everyone else we're just waiting to see what happens. But we love playing live, and will fight hard to keep live shows going. 

8.Do you know anyone personally affected?

I know tons of people affected: bands, promoters, club owners, bartenders, waiters, t-shirt printers, sound people, security, etc. Everyone, in some fashion, is affected by this pandemic. But I've been lucky enough to stay healthy, and I don't know anyone personally that has gotten seriously ill from the Coronavirus. 

9.Do you think its more important to blame someone for the virus or to get it solved
  

The blame game is pointless for us out in the trenches of everyday life. The most important thing is to find a way to get people back on their feet, both economically and health-wise. 

10.Last question would you rather cover yourself in honey and throw yourself into a bees nest 
Or see your bassist naked?

How many stings are we talking? One? I'll take the bees. More than four? I'd subscribe to Brandon's premium snapchat if I had to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment