NIGHTMARE TOYS

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

AXEMEN GUITAR INTERVIEW : DAXTON PAGE / KIRRA


1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

I’m Daxton Page and I play guitar for the band Kirra.


2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar


Probably Mark Tremonti, when I saw the “Open Your Eyes” music video and the solo came on, I was blown away and knew I wanted to do that.


3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?


I started out self-taught for a number of years but when my skills seemed to plateau, I got a few mentors/teachers that helped push my playing/songwriting along further like Robert Sarzo, Mark Vollelunga, Phil Soussan, and Clint Lowery.

Add caption

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?


I can read both. I started with TABS and then learned sheet music as I got older. I think this is a natural progression, sheet music is becoming a more and more specialized skill in my opinion.


5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?


I do, but it’s constantly changing, as I change as a person I find so does my tone.


6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )

  

My main axe is (unsurprisingly) a 2014 PRS Tremonti II USA with Black Gold finish. I have it in a modified Drop B tuning: BF♯BEBE


7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them


They are the stock passive Tremonti bridge and Neck pickups. I love the bridge because it’s very edgy sounding which is great for rock, but the neck is nice because it’s got a more round, warmer type of sound for clean sounds.


8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc


Currently running my entire rig through an AXE FX II, I’ve been diving into the digital world head on but I plan on incorporating it back into my analog setup someday once I’ve mastered it. My favorite analog amps have always been Mesa Boogie rectifiers and EVH 5150’s. 

 

9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy


My pedalboard is currently my midi switcher for my AXE FX. I have set fx for each song, and each song is saved into its own preset. Typically all my presets have reverb and usually some delay. I used to have a massive pedalboard with a bunch of earthquaker devices, TC electronics, EHX, Morley, and Boss pedals, but this is a bit easier to travel with.


10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..


My dream rig is to run a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec. with a EVH 5150+3, and have my AXEFX controlling all my fx. I would love to have a few Mesa 4x12 for stage volume, but I also like the idea of having no cabs on stage, I like to move around.


11.What guitarist can you not stand?


To each their own, but I can’t stand Yngwie Malmsteen. This is from someone who loves Steve Vai, I’m not against shredding. I just personally get bored to death listening to him. Him and every guitar player who falls into the extreme meta categories.


12. Is tone more important or is technique?


Solid technique is the facilitator of good tone. Most of your tone is in the fingers, so I would say get your technique down and use it as a way to express your own individual tone.


13. Name your top 5 guitarist


Mark Tremonti, Steve Vai, Tommy Emmanuel, Jimmy Page, and Stevie Ray Vaughn. No particular order. 


14.Who is the most overrated guitarist

I don’t get the hype around Ichika Niko. A lot of his videos have been proven to have been play-along videos of an already sped-up performance. Lots of people have dissected how people like him get the sound they do, and it’s pure trickery masquerading as virtuosity. Look at Polyphia if you want to see that style done legitimately. 

  

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?


I would love to sit down and discuss harmony with John Coltrane. Him and I have both made insane music theory diagrams and I’d love to find out how he made his and what unique, atypical connections he may have found.



No comments:

Post a Comment