NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, May 21, 2020

BATTERY DRUMMER INTERVIEW : Brandon 'Brack' Gallegos / POWERHOUSE

1.What is your name and what band do you play for?

My name is Brandon 'Brack' Gallegos and I play drums for thrash metal band, Powerhouse. 

2.Who made you want to play drums and why?

Growing up, my dad was a big influence on me, as he was a hand percussionist, himself. As a kid, I remember watching school drumlines march down the street in parades. The sound, the loudness, the coordination, the power, the rhythm... it was all a euphoric experience and I knew that's what I wanted to do. 
3.When did you get your first kit? Tell us about it…


I started drumming traditionally in the schools in the 5th grade. It wasn't until my 7th grade year that  I got my first drum kit from my neighbor and drum mentor (Ralph), a 5 piece Ludwig Rocker with a few cymbals and hardware. 

Where your parents supportive of you and your loud / expensive new habit?



 My parents were and have always been very supportive of my loud, expensive habit, even supporting my bands by going to shows.


5.What drum performance on an album is perfection to you?


The drum performances on record that stand out to me for thrash are Nick Menza (RIP) on Rust in Peace, Dave McClain on the Blackening, Lars on Justice, and Dave Lombardo on Seasons.

Tell us about your current kit and set up in DETAIL.

My gigging kit is a Pearl Vision VSX birch and basswood (Guitar Center Anniversary Limited Edition Walnut Burl Burst). 3 rack toms, 2 floor, 2 bass (optional), snare. All Zildjian cymbals, 17", 18", 19" A custom crash, 21" Avedis brilliant rock ride, 15" hats A custom master sound, 8" and 10" A spashes, 14" Oriental China. Pearl ICON rack. Pearl Demon Drive pedals.
  
7.If you could have a dream kit tell us about it in DETAIL

My stay at home kit is a black TAMA Granstar I, Japanese Hokkaido birch, power tom dimensions. 3 rack, 2 floor, 2 bass, gong drum, 3 octobans, Tama Starphonic steel snare. Every drum made in Japan. All Zildjian cymbals with exception of 1. 3 A Custom crashes 17", 18", 19", 2 rides 20" A medium and 21" A brilliant, 15" A Custom master sound hi hats, 14" I trash aux hi hat, 6.5" zilbel, 9.5" zilbel, 8" A splash and 10" A brilliant splash, 14" Oriental China trash, Sabian 19" holy China, and 22" gong. Gibraltar rack. Iron Cobra pedals and hat stand. Roc N Soc throne. Vic Firth 5b sticks... essentially, this is my dream kit. It took many years to complete, feels like my Frankenstein. 

8.Name your top 5 drummers excluding Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy

My top drummers for rock/metal include Ray Luzier, Dave Lombardo, John Bonham, Bill Ward, Dave McClain, Jason Bittner, Chris Adler, Tommy Aldridge, Charlie Benante, Gene Hoglan.







1 comment:

  1. That TAMA Granstar set is one sexy Frankenstein! Badass!

    ReplyDelete