NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, October 14, 2019

THE AXEMEN SERIES : Jake Dreyer (Witherfall,Iced Earth,Demons and Wizards)





1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

 

Jake Dreyer I play guitar and co-compose along with vocalist Joseph Michael for Witherfall I also play lead guitar in Iced Earth and touring lead guitars for Demons and Wizards.





2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar



Jake-Gene Simmons. When I was 4 years old I found Kiss destroyer. Thought it was the coolest thing in the world and still do. Then at 10 I heard AC/DC Hells Bells so

I guess Angus or technically Malcom young. Plus all those guys got chicks and even at 10 years old I was convinced that was the way.



3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons? .



Jake-Lessons. I have had so many teachers I can’t even count. I studied under Chris Broderick Terry Syrek for many years and also I went to Musicisns Institute to learn everything music wise outside the realm of guitar playing. My first guitar teacher died of an overdose or killed himself. I am still not quite sure.



4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?

Jake-I learned to read music at an early age and still do it every day as part of my practice regime and warmup. I prefer proper notation or ear, over tablature any day, any time.



5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?



Jake-No, I just rip off every guitarist that I like and meld it all together. If it sounds original, cool? If not, it’s what I want to hear.



6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )


  




Jake- I have many so it just depends on the gig. For Witherfall I have three custom shop Jackson 7 string VS or KV7s all of them are Similar except for color. (Purple, Chlorine burst and Charcoal Burst)  they all have ebony Fingerboards and Mahagony bodies with flame maple tops. I also use a 91 Ibanez Uv777gr for studio work. For iced Earth I use a Charvel Guthrie Govan sig model and a Jackson KV2 along with assorted Gibson’s (explorer, a double neck, Vs les Paul’s and SG) I like to change it up.



7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them

All passive I dont really know that much about gear at all. If it sounds like shit I just think I need to practice more. I usually have my guitar techs handle it.



8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc



I mainly use a Soldano SLO 100 or a Bogner XTC live all ran through either a Bogner Ubercab or a 1960 B Marshall Cab I acquired from 86’ and it sounds great. Although I have gone the route of Kemper just because with touring and fly dates etc etc it is a way easier route. I miss real analog amplification so much though.



9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy



Jake- it’s all in the Kemper now. it’s basic though. little reverb, little delay on my lead patch. that’s it. Like I said if you sound terrible it’s probably because you suck and need to practice more. Can’t blame gear.



 10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail.....



One that is not processed and digital. I don’t know man. I am not a gear guy so my answer is going to be lame. I mean for me a bunch of Marshall cabinets and an SlO 100 is great.



Jake- it’s all in the Kemper now. it’s basic though. little reverb, little delay on my lead patch. that’s it. Like I said if you sound terrible it’s probably because you suck and need to practice more. Can’t blame gear.



11.What guitarist can you not stand?



Jake-Jake Dreyer



I12. Is tone more important or is technique?

Jake-both are the same, I definitely spend way more time on technique. You could have the most killer tone in the world but if your vibrato sounds like a dying cat then I wont give a fuck. Songwriting on the other hand trumps both.

     




13. Name your top 5 guitarist

Early Yngwie Malmsteen

Marty Friedman

Brian May

Al Di Meola

Jason Becker

David Gilmour



15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

Jake-Allan Holdsworth I just want to know what was going through that guys head.



Joseph Michael
Vocalist/Multi-Instrumentalist/Producer

http://www.witherfall.com


 

No comments:

Post a Comment