NIGHTMARE TOYS

Friday, October 4, 2019

THE AXEMEN SERIES : Jeremy Amack of Repent


1.)  Tell us your name and what band you play for.

I'm Jeremy Amack and I play in The Band Repent.
 


2.)  Who made you want to pick up the guitar ?

When I was 8 I saw Guns n Roses on MTV.. that whole band and Slash STILL blows me away.. however.. when I first heard Dave Mustaine of Megadeth.. the guitar riffs on Rust in Peace have been monumental in my development..and are truly a masterpiece of musicianship.. can't say enough about Megadeth.

3.)  Are you self taught or did you take lessons ?

Well.. my only lesson came when I was 16 and had just gotten an acoustic guitar from my uncle..
At that time I was just a dumb high school kid.. working at a Dairy Queen in Kansas.. and didn't even play the thing.. one day a guy came in to the restaurant and was eating dinner with his parents.. you could just tell this dude was a rockstar.. and sure enough as I was talking to him he said he had just gotten back from touring Europe with his band and was taking a break..I asked him if I could pay for his family's meal in exchange for one lesson..
So I meet up with him later that day at his parents house and it takes me down stairs the basement.. which is full of guitars and amps..
He cranked up a Jackson Charvel so loud the walls were shaking..
He played for about 30 minutes and then stopped and said if you ever want to be that good.. pick up your guitar..
I sat there like a dumb kid holding my acoustic guitar.. but just got served the best lesson I could have ever got.

4.)  Can you read music ?
       Can you read tab ?

Just tab

5.)  Do you feel like you have your own sound/tone ?

Oh most definitely.. I can tell when it's "off", so yeah I know what sound I'm looking for.

6.)  Tell us about your guitar (brand, model, year, color)

I'm a huge Jackson fan, that's all I play.. it just does it for me..and always black.. never any other color.
  


7.)  What about pick-ups, passive or active..tell us about them.

Passive.. I use a lot of downpicking and palm mutes with speed picking.. so it's very muffled,Iike chugging.

8.)  Let's get into amplification, same drill, brand, model, speakers, etc.

I'm broke as hell so I have a Line 6 😆

9.)  Do you have a pedal board ? Tell us about that badboy.

No.. just switch from acoustic to electric with a ton of gain and the channel volume turned all the way up.

10.)  Now tell us your dream rig in detail.

I'm pretty old school.. I follow all the pioneers of metal (Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, etc.) and they always just used a bunch of Marshall JCM800 full stacks with the simple "on off" switch on the foot pedal..that does enough for me.

11.)  What guitarist can you not stand ?

The guy playing an acoustic guitar under a tree at some college who has a bunch of girls laying on the grass listening to his crap 😆

12.)  Is tone more important or technique ?

For me it's all about technique.. my pick hand plays my guitar no matter what my fret hand does.. without proper technique you can turn great tone into a "muddy" sound.
  

13.)  Name your top 5 guitarists.

Dave Mustaine
Jeff Hanneman
Slash
James Hetfield
Zakk Wylde

14.)  Who is the most over rated guitarist ?

See question 11 😆

15.)  Who would you like a one hour sit-down lesson with..dead or alive ?

I'd love to just hang out with Guns n Roses and party.. but a serious lesson from Dave Mustaine would be really kewl 🤘

Thanks Wes this was really fun 😊



No comments:

Post a Comment