NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, October 13, 2019

OFF THE DEEP END SERIES : Ákos Szathmáry of Omega Diatribe





1. Why Bass?

Ákos Szathmáry: Probably it’s based on my father’s teaching. He told me how to identify the different instruments in a music when I was a young kid. So I could start to listen to them separately and it always amazed me how the bass can provide the essence in the music with different techniques. Later in highschool when I started to learn to play on an instrument it wasn’t a question that it would be the bassguitar. Also I listened to a lot of Korn in that days and Fieldy’s style was so different from that I had heared before. He & Ryan Martinie (of Mudvayne) really inspired me to learn various right hand techniques and implement them into my music.
    


2. Do you think it is unfair or just lack of knowledge bass gets so little credit?

Ákos Szathmáry: I don’t feel the situation that bad. I think there is a huge bass community and lot of people like bass players from the audience side too. If you’re working on your own style people will recognize you. It is a bit harder in the metal scene where the guitar is dominant, but we have huge bass icons, if they could make it you can make it too.

3. What kind of bass do you use? Model, color, year. And why?

Ákos Szathmáry: I don’t have too many, I’m not a bass collector don’t want to own a bass which I use only twice a year. My main one is a nirvana nlack Warwick Thumb BO 5 2010 Special Edition. This bass was a dream for me so I’m really proud I could have it in my life. My secound bass - which I currently use as a B-guitar in live for a different tuning - is an Ibanez K5 from 2004. I own it since 2004 so I must say it was also a dream for my teenage self.
  


4. Tell us about your amplification.

Ákos Szathmáry: I’m using only a poweramp from Prolude Amplification, which is a Hungarian brand. This amp is a very uniqe one. Actually they made it for me, so this is the only existing piece with this construction. For my actual sound I use a Darkglass B7k as preamp.
    


5. With all of that being said do you feel tone is an important thing for bass?

Ákos Szathmáry: Exactly. Tone is one of the most important things for every instrument.

6. Do you prefer 5 strings over 4 string?
Ákos Szathmáry: I definitely prefer 5 strings for the music I play.
   
7. Who is your favorite bassist?

Ákos Szathmáry: Nowadays it is Victor Wooten

8. Who is your least favorite bassist?
Ákos Szathmáry:
 I like everyone. If I must say someone let it be the guy from Nickelback.

9. Why do you think women seem to be attracted to playing bass?
     


Ákos Szathmáry: Maybe they think it’s easier than play guitar.. Or just love the thick strings. I don’t know.
    


10. What bassist dead or alive would you like a private lesson with?

Ákos Szathmáry: Ryan Martinie

11. Bonus question. Bobby Dall, Nikki Sixx, Les Claypool, Billy Sheehan - which is more ridiculous and why?

Ákos Szathmáry: All of these guys are just posers for me except Les Claypool. He is fenomenal.
*DAMN RIGHT


No comments:

Post a Comment