NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, October 31, 2019

The Deep Series : Dalton Collins / Dreams in Peril












 1.Why Bass?

Answer: I Started Playing bass when I was 14, But when I came to the thought of playing bass, I originally thought about playing drums but Immediatly saw how expensive and loud it was. Not to mention the space it took up with all the pieces. So, I ruled it out. Then I thought about Guitar or bass and I saw that everyone gravitates to guitar and there are so many of them out there. I thought if I played bass, At least I would be in demand. So, I ended up saying that I wanted to be a bass player. My sister who is a guitar player, bought me my first bass on my 14th Birthday.





2.Do you think it is unfair or just lack of knowledge bass gets so little credit?

Answer: A little of both, To be honest though. People don't see bass players as the writers of the music but in all reality I have actually written pieces of each of our songs. I contribute to the music just as everyone else. But I do understand that it isn't always like that with every other band. Some bass players coast by by riding the root notes of their music. Sometimes as a bass player that is necessary, however it's good for bass players to stand apart and shine. As I try to do in our slow down parts as well as some of the more technical parts of our music to be right there with the guitar player to make the parts thicker and richer. But bass players have to sometims tone things down so that they don't risk making their music and tone too Muddy.

  





3.What kind of bass do you use? Model , color , year , And why

Answer: Right now my go to bass Is a ESP B 155 DX. 5 String. Not sure on a year.. lol It is a see through Blue. I have always liked the tone, Looks and mechanics of the ESP basses. If I were to use any other brand, it would most likely be either Ibanez or PRS.. I may even be into the Earnie ball Music man Bass, however I really am happy with ESP.





4.Tell us about your amplification

Answer: Right Now I am currently running a Ampeg SVT 7 Pro hybrid Amp. It's 1000 watts. Mostly Solid state but it still gives the warmth in the tone with the Pre amp tube.

I Also have a Behringer Sonic Maximizer/ Enhancer. It cleans up my tone and Enhances my sound.

Then I am also running a Line 6 G90 Relay Digital Wireless.

    





5. With all of that being said do you feel tone is an important thing for bass?

Answer: YES! Just like guitar and Drums. Tone is everything. Because it is the whole band that makes up the sound of the band. Rather a Bass player wants a thick sound or if we want a more clanky sound. With me, I like a solid thickness with a little "string clank". As well as enough tone to hear the note changes. I like to have some warmth in my sound.





6.Do you prefer 5 strings over 4 string?

Answer: Yes. It is what I need for the sound and Tone of the kind of music we play. We Tune to Drop A and To be honest I could Drop Tune a 4 string to be in Drop A but the Thickness of the Guage of that top string just wouldnt hold the Deepness I need to carry our tone. It just wouldn't make sense. Granted, There is nothing wrong with a Standard 4 string. I just dont feel like Drop A is right for it.





7.Who is your favorite bassist?

Answer: Growing up I really used to like Fieldy from Korn. I loved how the clank of his bass added to the rythem of their music.. However his style has no influence on my style and tone.
Other bass players I really like and still to this day is Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne. He has a solid tone as well as an insane playing abillity. I urge anyone to watch him play! The dude is amazing! But the two bass players that influence me today would have to be Gabe Crisp of Whitechapel and Evan Brewer of The Faceless. Both of their tones are Thick and brutal and Evan's playing ability is off the charts!



   



8. Who is your least favorite bassist?

Answer: You know, I never thought about it. I never just sat and thought, Man. That guy is my least favorite! haha I honestly dont think I have an Answer.





9.Why do you think women seem to be attracted to playing bass?

Answer: In all honesty. I have no Idea! haha Maybe it's not to be in the spotlight.. Who knows.. lol





10. What bassist dead or alive would you like a private lesson with?

Answer: Because of the simularities we have. Gabe Crisp of Whitechapel.



11. Bonus question

Bobby Doll , Nikki Sixx , Les Claypool , Billy Sheehan which is more ridiculous and why

   

Answer: Les Claypool. Primus Sucks!! haha Kidding.. I love Primus! Dude is one of the best slap bass players, and the dude LEADS Primus! His style is funky and weird. But man.. It
just works!







No comments:

Post a Comment