NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, October 6, 2019

The Axemen interview, Dakota "Shreddly" Amacker




1. Tell us your name and the band you play for.

Dakota "Shreddly" Amacker! I'm a solo artist, and I also play for my band Awoken Infinium. I shred, hence the nickname. It kinda stuck through the years! 
     


2. Who made you want to pick up the guitar?

I started out as a blues player; lots of Stevie Ray Vaughn, and southern rock? I was heavily into Lynyrd Skynyrd. Eventually I got into players like EVH, Randy Rhoads, and eventually Yngwie Malmsteen. The rest is history!

3. Are you self-taught or did you take lessons?

I taught myself. I've always had an ear for finding what I felt sounded right, or close enough to it to not make your ears bleed!

4. Can you read music, can you read tab?

I know some basic theory, but I've always leaned more towards tablature. Easier to explain and show folks just starting out!

5. Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone?
     

I've worked for years trying to develop my own sound, yes! I've always tried to bridge the gap between speed and emotion; finding the perfect balance of shred and feel! Most folks say they know it's me when they hear my vibrato, and quick runs. 

 6. Tell us about your guitar ( brand, model, year, color.)

I played Fender Strats for years, a lot of my favorite players rocked them. But I really didn't find myself until I swapped to Charvel Stars. Out of the 30+ axes in my collection, I'll always go to my main few. I have 4 Charvel stars, my main one being my go to axe, "Storm." She's a solid white Charvel DST-1 Desolation star, all the way down to my white EMG's! All my stars are set up very similar, but that's my #1 for sure.

7. What about pickups? Passive or active? Tell us about them.

Anyone who knows me knows I SWEAR by EMG's! Actives for sure. I've dabbled in a few different models, but my main axes in my fleet are equipped with the 81/85 set. I love having the power right at my volume knob, my main axes only have a 3 way toggle and the volume knob. Simple, but beyond effective! 
  


8. Lets get into amplification. Same drill; brand, model, speakers etc.

I absolutely love Blackstar Amplification to tears! I've played the digital ID100 TVP for years, and people were appalled at the tone I'd get. But I recently got the HT Stage 100 Mk2, and powerful is an understatement. On the go, I jam the battery powered Blackstar Fly 3, potent, portable, and packs a punch! Speaker wise, I've always been partial to Celestion, even if it's always been unintentionally.


9. Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy.

Surprisingly? I'm pretty much a straight into the amp kind of player. The only pedals I'll use are my Boss PS-6 Harmonist, a looper to jam riffs, and occasionally a wah. Live, I might break out my harmonizer. But in short, I'm a straight into the amp kinda guy! 

10. Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…

I aim to have my own signature gear one day, of course. I'd love to have a signature Charvel star, my own EMG set, etc. Amp wise? I'd LOVE to have the Blackstar HT Metal 100 head, hell a full stack or 2 behind me. Or the Blackstar Series One 100. Either way!


11. What guitarist can you not stand?

The ones famous for playing 2 or 3 chords. I'm joking! I dont really have anyone I dislike. To each their own, self expression no matter the skill level is what's up.

12. Is tone more important, or is technique?

I'd say they both play an important role. You can take a cheap off brand amp, a $100 Squire Strat, hand them to someone who's been playing and developed their own style, and they can make it sound like an expensive rig. I've always said it's all in your hands!  
    


13. Name your top 5 guitarists.

Gus G, 
Andy James,
Zakk Wylde,
Yngwie Malmsteen,
SRV. 



 14. Who is the most overrated guitarist? I dont really have anyone in particular I can think of to be honest. If they're known, they did something right! 15. Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with, anyone dead or alive? Probably my idol, Gus G. He's inspired me on many levels as far as my playing, an individual, even the star body shape! I think it'd be a blast, and I could learn a good bit.

15. Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with, anyone dead or alive?

Probably my idol, Gus G. He's inspired me on many levels as far as my playing, an individual, even the star body shape! I think it'd be a blast, and I could learn a good bit. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment