NIGHTMARE TOYS

Saturday, December 5, 2020

Virgo Bass Interview

 1.Why Bass?

It all started in the early 90's for me. As a youngster (lol) I was huge into Skid Row, and one day while listening to Slave To The Grind (album), all of the sudden, the bassline caught my attention in a really big way, and in an instant, bass guitar became my favorite instrument. Even though bass gets the least amount of credit, I consider it to be the most versatile instrument. It can support melody and harmony, it can hold down the rhythm with the drums, it can carry its own independent and melodic line, and also, it can fucking wail like a lead guitar, if you have the chops for it (which I do not, lol). Plus, the low notes are just badass.


 

2.Do you think it is unfair or just lack of knowledge bass gets so little credit?

I think most of the time, the bass has a more subtle effect, and the average listener pays attention to the flashy stuff...vocals and lead guitar, sometimes even drums. It takes a certain mindset to attune to the bass.


 


3.What kind of bass do you use? Model , color , year , And why?


My main axe is a Fender Precision, black with white pickguard, FULL of crazy stickers I personally added. I think it was purchased in '92-'93. I probably picked it because I liked how it looked, lol. But now I respect it for the amazing instrument it is. I also have a back-up P-bass, metallic powder blue (c. 2007), that I rarely play. And my most recent addition that I purchased just last month (2020) is a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5, in purple burst, which I adore, so far. I admit that the deciding factor for this instrument was also mostly cosmetic, lol (the purple burst is gorgeous, yet subtle), while I was specifically shopping for a 5-string. Fortunately, it also plays great, too!

4.Tell us about your amplification


This is one area I shamefully admit that I'm thoroughly ignorant. When I got my first P-bass, I knew nothing about bass, so the sales guy helped pick out the amp, which ended up being a Fender Sidekick. The only problem I've ever had with it was that it would randomly sometimes burst with a loud static sound, and the only way to make it stop would be to kick it in the side...LMAO...so, there was an ongoing joke about the fact that the model was called the "Sidekick". Ha! I eventually had it repaired. Otherwise, the sound has always been great, so I've never upgraded all these years. I continue to get compliments about my tone, but honestly, it's just pure luck that I happened to have landed an awesome setup.



Several years later, I also purchased a Peavey Microbass (amp) to carry around for practice and small spaces, when I had to walk around the city with my gear.


 5. With all of that being said do you feel tone is an important thing for bass?



Yes, absolutely, I think you can really do a lot with tone, including create your own signature sound. Personally, while I do love a lot of boom and low end in the bass, at the same time, if there's not a good balance and it's too low, it just gets muddy, or if there's not enough lows it gets tinny. Gotta find that sweet spot. My Sidekick only has 3 tone knobs (high, mid, and low), and my P-bass only has one! But I can still come up with some pretty cool sounds.



6.Do you prefer 5 strings over 4 string?




For the longest time, I swore by the classic 4-string, and felt that the 5-string was overrated...until I heard Ted Lundström (Amon Amarth) play. Something about how he utilizes the very low end. I tried to learn some of their tunes by tuning down my 4-string, and it was NOT cutting it. So, I decided it was time to add the 5-string to my roster, and wow, I am so glad I did. So much power in that 5th string!! But, I still love my 4-string and will continue to play it. I'll swap them out depending on what the music calls for.


 7.Who is your favorite bassist?


Gosh, this is a tough one. So many greats. I can tell you my top 4, lol: Cliff Burton (RIP), Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, and Ted Lundström. It could honestly be any one of those guys depending on the day. Then, of course, there's Carol Kaye, Victor Wooten, John Paul Jones, Geezer Butler, Flea, Robert Trujillo, and..........(list keeps going).


 


8. Who is your least favorite bassist?


I don't know...if they didn't catch my attention, then I guess I forgot about them. Hehe.


 


9.Why do you think women seem to be attracted to playing bass?




Well, I don't think women generally are particularly attracted to playing bass, though I haven't checked statistics. I think just as many, and probably more, women play guitar than bass. And lots of ladies are brutalizing the drums, as well.




Now, if the nature of this question is, rather, with bass being stereotypically not "feminine", why would a woman such as myself be attracted to it? That's hard to answer. When the bass is in my hands, I'm a bass player, and gender suddenly isn't in the picture. I've always been a fan of the underdog, the mysterious and subtle, I don't usually go for things that are ultra trendy or mainstream or in the spotlight, and the bass musically fits that bill. Also, those low tones are somehow simultaneously both incredibly powerful and soothing. Kind of like a heartbeat. And as I explained in the first question, totally versatile and badass.


 


10. What bassist dead or alive would you like a private lesson with?




Jaco Pastorius!! I cannot wrap my mind around his playing. Not meaning that I don't vibe with it...meaning that I could never play like that! He completely dominated the instrument probably more than any other human being ever has, and he knew soooo much about bass and music in general.


 


11. Bonus question


Bobby Doll , Nikki Sixx , Les Claypool , Billy Sheehan  which is more ridiculous and why?


Hands down, Les Claypool. Another bassist whose playing I can't wrap my head around, lol. It's evident between his playing, his music, his singing, his style, that dude's from another world. Can't imagine what it's like to be in his head! And I mean that in all good ways. I had the fortune to see them (Primus) live a few times. Really spectacular.





Thank you so much for the opportunity to do this interview. If there's space for this, I'd just like to say that I'm currently working on an ongoing list of badass bass cover videos (so far: Iron Maiden, Metallica, Rush, Amon Amarth, and much more on the way) and developing my new YouTube channel. Support is greatly appreciated. I can be found at youtube ( https://youtube.com/channel/UCVlk8whzHb5OBDlCGz3CMxw ) and also @virgobass7 on both Twitter & Instagram. \m/

1 comment: