NIGHTMARE TOYS

Friday, August 24, 2018

Carcinogen Daily Interview




Carcinogen Daily was born out of the rich culture of music in Tulsa, OK. 
Whether it be the grimy basement punk show, or the deep channels of traditional music found down on Main St. 
There's a little bit of it all in the roots that Carcinogen Daily grew up from. 
We had experience playing in bands together in the past so we were already tuned into each other's frequency. 
As songwriters we can see the parallels between music today and music from eras long past. 
We feel satisfaction if we can channel those universal musical constants into our performance.

Music is timeless.

Harpo Barx - Vocals 
Josh Malone - Bass 
Stephen Bisbee - Guitars 
Ben Knievel - Drums

1. Tell us about your band and what do you do for your band. 
My name is Ben, I play Drums in Carcinogen Daily.

We are a Stoner/Doom Band from Tulsa.

 2. When did you decide you wanted to be in a band? 

As far back as i can remember i have wanted to play music. I was very fortunate to grow up in a musical house hold. I watched my father play in bands and work extremely hard at it. He taught me everything he could. Even Running the sound at most of my gigs in my teen years.

 3. What is different about being a musician than you imagined?

I had a very naive, almost romantic idea of the music industry. I thought all you had to do was practice and gig as frantically as you could. And eventually you would be swept up and your dreams would come true. Now, I'm wiser. It takes a lot of work, dedication, and wearing many many hats.

 4. What gear do you use and why?

I play a set of vintage White Hall Drums paired with Evans Drum Heads and Sabian cymbals. I use 20" Ride Cymbals all around for their big sound. I first started doing this with a camber 20" Thin ride that was found at a garage sale for 3 whole dollars. I tried using it as a ride then quickly realized it sounded great as a huge crash. I try not to buy new, I really LOVE old ugly gear. 

5. What music do you listen to that would surprise people? 

I listen to a pretty wide spectrum of music. From Metal to Pop. I spend a lot of time behind the wheel shuffling through radio stations and podcasts.

6. How do we find your music and merch to buy?  

CarcinogenDaily.Bandcamp.com is a great place to start. Our Self Titled Debut EP is also available on all of the usual suspects Spotify, Itunes, Googlemusic, Amazon, Etc. 

7. How did you get a record deal? Or do you want a record deal or are you DIY? 

We are EXTREMELY DIY. Everything from recording to t shirt printing we do in house. I feel that you really have to have a strong diy mind set in this business. Do it yourself if you can, and hire out where it counts.  We are open to a record deal, just haven't been offered one yet that we felt was a good fit for us.

8. What bands do people compare your music to? 

I have heard C.O.C and Clutch.

9. Are you pro Spotify / streaming services? Or do you think it hurts sales? 

I personally love it. Gives you access to a large crowd of people. 

 10. What's the ultimate goal for the band?

The one goal is to enjoy what we are doing and put out music we like.
If your not enjoying yourself then what the hell are you doing!

11. Will we see you tour? 

Mostly small runs from us.

 12. Who would you love to tour with?

Sleep, EHG, Down, C.O.C., Dope Throne, Wind hand, Pall Bearer.     Devil Theory, Grass Giant, Iron Cathedral, Haggardz Hellraizerz, She The Serpent, are all great bands that I love and enjoy listening to.

13. What is your favorite song of yours and why?  

Hell Hound Thunder Beast is probably my favorite right now. Tons of attitude and energy.

 14. Why should people take the time to listen to your band over thousands of other bands?


We are a Riff Heavy Stoner Doom Band From Tulsa.
 We take the time to put out something that we feel, something real. We welcome you to be a part of that. We want people to remember that some of the best bands are out here completely free of any financial or creative support from a label.  
 Free to make art anyway they see fit. Pouring their blood, sweat, and tears into their craft.  Finding these gems is half of the fun of listening to underground music. 
Come give us a listen.
 Buy the Ticket. Take the Ride.


15. What are your favorite music websites labels podcast ect? 

High Speed Hangover Podcast and
Fuzz Fm are two of my favorites to listen to. 
I really enjoy stoned meadow of dooms youtube channel.
Weedian and Metal Driver Media both post great stuff on facebook.
Bandcamp is a infinite source of music for me as well.
And im always discovering great music through you wes.

16. Is imagery important to you? Do you judge albums by the cover?  

Great Artwork certainly will influence me to give something a listen. 

  17. If you could choose a cover song your band mates would hate what would it be? 

That's a tough one lots of different musical tastes in this band. 


18. Is the record or live show more important? 

This can go both ways for me. At the moment id have to say the record because it is forever. But you certainly have to be able to live up to it and not disappoint your fans with a lack luster phoned in performance. I have seen tons of bands that rule on stage but failed to translate to cd. And tons that suck live but are perfect on cd.

19. Name 3 people dead or alive you would want to play your music for?

Bill Murray
Phil Anselmo
Hunter S. Thompson

Sounds like a cool crowd to me.

20. Lemmy, Ozzy, Dio, and Rob Halford in a cage match. 
Lemmy hands down! 


No comments:

Post a Comment