NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, July 8, 2018

WITHERFALL INTERVIEW

*Editors note, I hate writing interviews in my head I can always see the band members rolling their eyes at the questions because who wouldn't after answering the same dumb questions over and over?
So its not my favorite thing to do because I am not great at it but when Witherfall ask I am ALL OVER IT. Witherfall awoke my shred deprived soul when I was introduced to them I DIG this band!
So here is my interview with these amazing dudes whom I am thankful have been very gracious in taking time to do this.


1. For the metal fan who is unfamiliar with Witherfall some would call you a “ supergroup”, how in the world did all of you come together with the idea of Witherfall. I understand that you worked together in White Wizzard an Adam did work on the instrumental cd. But I ced Earth , Circle to Circle , Kobra and the Lotus , Into Eternity That's big time names why the joining of forces?

Joseph Michael -Well Jake and i are just very similar in our musical taste and hatred of nonsense.  Adam was one of a kind. It's a shame he couldn't be here with us. Anthony Crawford played with some huge names, Alan Holdsworth, Virgil Donati, Justin Timberlake... This type of music demands a high level of skill. Those skills are always in demand.

2. Now it is a very slim chance that someone reading this is not familiar with the above stated bands, In that case how would you describe the Witherfall sound to them? Would you say Witherfall is a simple combo if the bands or would you say you tried to pull from influences outside of your other bands?

Joseph Michael – Dark Melodic Metal is a good one. Somone said we sound like Queen meets Pantera. No idea. We just write what we hear.
3. Now you have the attention and interest of a set of fresh ears, What song would you pick to be the very first song for someone to hear that you think has all of the trademarks of Witherfall?
Joseph Michael -  Well, that is difficlut. Can you tell me what song exemplifies Queen? 
We are the champions? We Will Rock You? Bohemian Rhapsody? Those all sound like different bands... Guns and Roses, Led Zeppelin, Dream Theater and other bands like that are who we want to be lumped with. Every song is it's own thing.

4. Now for me and this is where things get fun very much like your other bands Witherfall is an absolute shred -a - thon the guitar is front and center and looks like ants moshing on a tablature sheet , and that is exciting because a trained ear like mine lol I hear a lot of Racer X flying around in your music. Dream Theater of course would be the more common popular comparison. Point being this is totally for guitar nerds like myself. So tell us who inspired the guitar work.
Joseph Michael -  Well, Jake is A HUGE fan Marty Friedman and Jason Becker. So since we have some guitar solos and other fast guitar stuff those influences will come out. We also both really love Andy Laroque from King Diamond and Brian May to name a couple not obvious players. 





5. Imagery is also a HUGE part of Witherfall almost TransSiberian and Savatage esque what is the importance of the imagery, its totally cool if you tell me it is for the chicks….. But seriously there has to be meaning behind the awesome visual side of the band can you elaborate on it?

Joseph Michael – When you see an album cover you hear the band before a note plays...



6. Tell us about the Sanctuary tour experience and having to pay homage to Warrel Dane.

Joseph Michael – I was honestly ery honored to have been considered. Jon Schaffer told Lenny about me and that i might be able to pull it off. It was such an emotional ride but also personally gratifying. My Uncle also died while we were in Texas which added to the somber mood of the tour.

7. You guys are really good at using social media as a medium to promote is that strategic or just something that comes natural?
Joseph Michael – Well, it's because i don't sleep honestly.

8. Prog is an overused word but I know you hear it all the time, do you consider yourself a prog band or a heavy metal band?
Joseph Michael – We aren't either of those exclusively we are Witherfall. Labels are not my thing.

9. Tell us about your releases and what we can expect in the future



Joseph Michael- “ A Prelude to Sorrow” is the name of the second album and is being finished this moment.


10. Last but not least just for me and the knob nerds out there ,please give us a breakdown of your guitar riggs 
Joseph Michael – Jake uses Jacksons and Charvels and a variety of amps. A couple of Delay and compression pedals. Taylor acoustic guitars, but in the studio anything goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment