NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, July 16, 2018

SURVIVAL INTERVIEW


1. Please tell us about the about the band and its members. 

Hi! Its just me, Nick Noro, writing and recording all the songs at this juncture- Survival.

2. Who does the majority of the writing? Is it a group thing or does someone handle the writing duties? 

Myself. Now matter what group I was in, I always wrote/contributed some or all songs. At this point its all about me doing my own project. 

3. Where is the band based out of ? Where did you want to the band to end up? What was the dream city to have as your home base once you got out of your scene?

I'm based out of Oakland, CA which is where I was born. I grew up in the Bay Area. I lived briefly in New York a few years ago. The way things are in the world today, wherever you go- there you are. Sometimes I think I might get better opportunities in LA or NY, but the issues I've dealt with here my whole life usually follow me wherever I go - being misunderstood, scapegoating, outcasting. Just keeping it real this metal/punk "scene" here changes every year or so and goes away every year or so. I have some long time friends to show from it (going to shows out here since like 15 or so years ago). Other than that, I'm not gonna get booked in my home town its just the way people are. I've had more success going to Europe and promoting my stuff there. 

4. What is your genre? What bands do you use to explain  to people what you sound like?

It's been lumped into metal. Its really not METAL purely. Parts of it are old school American Hardcore. Other parts of it sound like something Soul Asylum ish or Dinosaur Jr ish. But its not garage and its not thrash.  
Thing is, a lot of the people that like my stuff from the last few years are totally not metal heads or punks. I'm really tired of being genre specific labeled. I make a lot of angry music - at the end of the day its not boring or simple or confined. 

 5. Can we buy anything from you Cd's shirts etc and where can we buy them?


yeah - tapes, cds, digital downloads and I THINK shirts are still available online
survival1.bandcamp.com
nbrd.bandcamp.com


6. Do you have studio time lined up anything new coming soon?

"Murkin Hella Fools" just was released a couple days ago. But I've got another 10 songs lined up that I'm looking to start recording and taking my time with in the next couple months.

7. Have you ever been on tour? If so where and with who?

Yeah. I've toured Survival songs in Europe in 2016, playing solo shows. 
When Survival was a full lineup we played several shows up and down California. 
When I was in my teens I was a fill in touring guitar player for a band called Static Thought. We played at Reading/Leeds festival at one point (that was 2010, damn 8 years ago!). Much credit to Eric and that band actually, I got to see what playing on the road was like at that age. 

8. What is your favorite band? Who are the bands who influenced you?

I don't know! It would have to include thrash stuff like Exodus and Vio-lence. Then its gotta have Cro Mags, Negative Approach on there. Then definitely Cocteau Twins. Maybe Replacements are on there. Alice in Chains has to be on there. The Obsessed, Pentagram, Mercyful Fate have to be in there. Type O Negative. Curve. We're gonna stop there lol. 

9. Do you have a website? And do I have to verify that I am 18 to enter it? 

Yes and yes brazzers.com

10. What about your music do you want people to remember? What is the quality you want to hit people when they hit play?

I write stuff really honestly from my heart. It's really not a "metal" or "hardcore" package. Just remember that I'm writing from real experiences I've lived and writing from my heart. Shooting from the hip.

11. Name a person who is integral to your band that nobody knows about , what person drives your band like they are part of the band? Who is the extra member ?

Thats a cool question! The extra memeber is whoever listens to this music and appreciates it. Thats it. Also shouts out to Emir who has promoted this stuff in Europe. Shouts out to my buddy Willis who always encourages me to be unconditionally me.

12. Tell nerds like me tell us about your live rig and equipment.

I have a Jackson Dinky from a million years ago. Blackout pickups. A Peavy XXX and Peavy Cab. I have a Fender Jazz Bass. I have a macbook pro. A punching bag. 

13.What is your musical guilty pleasure that you are ashamed of?

No guilt here bro just Nu Metal and kettle bells.

14.If you could custom build a band who would be the members?

Wino on guitar, Mark Sandman on bass and guy/chick from Electric Youth. 
Joey Coco Diaz would to the live intro to all their shows. 
15.Message to the fans? What is it?

Yo if you've ever downloaded my stuff- thank you

www.facebook.com/clawhammerpr

www.twitter.com/clawhammerpr


www.youtube.com/clawhammerpr 

No comments:

Post a Comment