NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, July 8, 2018

ONCE UPON A WINTER INTERVIEW


1. Please tell us about the about the band and its members. 

Well, Once A Winter is a solo post-rock project that began as an idea back in 2012. During that period I’ve found myself with no band after many years, and I took some time off of anything music related. After clearing my head for a little bit, creating music came naturally and in a more intense way, so Once Upon A Winter came to life. A few years later, after gathering ideas and experiences, the debut album “Selective depression in chase of the Big Bang” was released in 2017, and one year later, in 2018, came “.existence”.

2. Who does the majority of the writing? Is it a group thing or does someone handle the writing duties?

As it is a solo project, I do all the writing, which at times could be a little bit limited approach. There are times that you feel the need for a new perspective, or a fresh pair of ears, and luckily enough there are people that I can look for advice, and valuable input. Still, there are no regrets for going solo, as Once Upon A Winter is a really personal and intimate matter, and I’m really glad that I’ve reached to a point that I can share this music.

3. Where is the band based out of ? Where did you want to the band to end up? What was the dream city to have as your home base once you got out of your scene?

Currently, I’m based in Thessaloniki, Greece, which is my home town. The birthplace of Once Upon A Winter was Xanthi, a small town in Northeastern Greece, where I want to study in the engineering school. Honestly, I can’t imagine that there could be a better place to create and develop the project. It’s a beautiful town that offers life and experiences if you are willing to live and embrace them. I think that I’ve really took the opportunity and created something that will always bring back memories of Xanthi, but it was time to move on, so…here we are now. As far as where do I want to end up… honestly I have no idea. We’ll have to wait and see.  

4. What is your genre? What bands do you use to explain to people what you sound like?

Well, the foundation of Once Upon A Winter is post rock. As the time goes by, I think (or I’d like to think) that I incorporate a lot of my influences from other genres as well, but yeah… post rock. Band-wise… I don’t know… I have never been on a situation where I used other bands to describe my sound. When someone asks, I just say that I play post rock. If that someone doesn’t know what post rock is, then I’m just mentioning a couple of my favorite bands from the genre, not necessarily meaning that I sound like those bands. Wow, that was a long road just to be vague…sorry… 


 5. Can we buy anything from you Cd's shirts etc and where can we buy them?

Currently the two albums are available as digital downloads on Bandcamp (https://onceuponawinter.bandcamp.com/). On the 10th of November 2018, .existence will be released on vinyl. The pre-orders have already begun through Snow Wave Records’ website (https://www.snow-wave-records.com/), and soon it’ll be available for pre-ordering on my Bandcamp as well. 

6. Do you have studio time lined up anything new coming soon?

As a matter of fact, yes. I have begun working on the new album. I’ve already set the tone that I would like to follow. There are a few tracks already recorded, but I really don’t want to rush it. I want the album to come naturally, with no pressure. 

7. Have you ever been on tour? If so where and with who?

As it is a solo project, I haven’t had the opportunity to tour. But, there might be a surprise in the foreseeable future. 

8. What is your favorite band? Who are the bands who influenced you?

There are a lot of favorite bands, which I honestly can’t compare and select just one. I’ve noticed though, that in every period of my life there is a specific band that can be classified as “favorite”. The last couple of months I really find myself always returning to the music of Alcest. Amazing band, fantastic live performance, and each album really gives something new and different. 

As far as influences in general... growing up I was listening to a lot of metal, mostly black, doom and progressive. Bands like Ulver, Arcturus, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Katatonia, Opeth, Deadsoul Tribe etc etc still hold a very special place in my heart, and I think that some of these influences are present in .existence. Then came post rock and post metal and bands like If these trees could talk, Tides from Nebula, God Is An Astronaut, GY!BE, Explosions in the sky etc, left their mark on me, in a way that I really found myself wanted to create something along those lines. And finally, we have bands like Alcest, Lantlos, Les Discrets, this whole new “blackgaze” scene that really combines everything that I enjoy in a brilliant fashion. 

9. Do you have a website? And do I have to verify that I am 18 to enter it? 

As of right now I use Bandcamp, Facebook, and Youtube, but possibly there will be an official website in the near future. I don’t think that there will be an age verification need. 

10. What about your music do you want people to remember? What is the quality you want to hit people when they hit play?
Every song in both of my albums was written with the sole purpose to narrate a story. Selective depression in chase of the Big Bang has different stories combined in one album, .existence has different moments of the same story. So everything comes down to personal experiences. Both for the artist and the listener. That’s the way that I listen to music myself. There are a lot of albums that have played a crucial role throughout my life, and helped me create some nice memories. If there is a chance that my music could help someone with that… you know... Find some strength out of a tough situation, create a beautiful memory, travel… that’s all there is to it. To make music come to life. 

11. Name a person who is integral to your band that nobody knows about , what person drives your band like they are part of the band? Who is the extra member ?


There are a lot of people that helped with the development of Once Upon A Winter, but there are a handful of them that played a crucial role. First of all there is Mr. Dimos Stathoulis, an amazing teacher and great composer himself, who really helped throughout all these years, especially with the mixing and mastering of the albums. There are my friends, Mr. Jordan Markopoulos, who actually godfathered a couple of Once Upon A Winter songs, and Ms. Phren Raux who is the artist behind the artwork of .existence, and in a way my therapist, unfortunately for her I might add. Furthermore, as weird as it may sound, my mother, who really lends her ears every time I compose a song, plus a mysterious unnamed entity that provides stories and experiences, some of them I later process, combine with random thoughts, and dress with music. 

12. Tell nerds like me tell us about your live rig and equipment.

I’ll talk about the guitar part, as it is my main instrument. As my main guitar for “Selective Depression in chase of the Big Bang” and “.existence” I’ve used my ESP Eclipse II, upgraded with Bareknuckle pick-ups (Cold Sweat on the neck, Nailbomb on the bridge). It really is a fantastic instrument. Right now, during the recordings of the third album, beside my ESP, I’ve also used my Fender Custom Telecaster Spalted Maple, with Seymour Duncan humbucker pick-ups (’59 on the neck, Pearly Gates on the bridge). Amazing instrument as well, light, with great neck. It really was the tele that I needed, moving away from the classic tele style, but still keeping significant elements. Plus it works great in combination with the sound of the Eclipse. 

My amp is a Traynor YCV40. I really like the option of having different eqs, one for each channel. Regarding my pedals, right now, I use Eventide Timefactor as my delay, Strymon BlueSky as my reverb, Carl Martin Plexitone overdrive for that sweet vintage tone, and Dunlop Univibe II. 

13.What is your musical guilty pleasure that you are ashamed of?

No guilty pleasures here. If I like something, I listen to it, with no shame. I could enjoy a drink out with friends while listening to the Brickhouse by the Commodores, and later on, in my place, play some GY!BE, or the Night train by Oscar Peterson, or the OST of the game Journey by Austin Wintory. Next morning wake up and listen to Edguy while laughing my ass of, and then play the whole Great Cold Distance by Katatonia. I mean, it’s music… if it means something to you, just listen to it and create memories. 

14.If you could custom build a band who would be the members?

Another tough one. I think I might go in a more metal path on that one, with the first people that come to mind.

Martin Lopez – Drums
Mikael Akerfeldt – Guitars, Vocals
Cregor Macintosh – Guitars
Mustis – Piano, Keybords
Jonas Renkse – Bass (I know, I know… but I wanted him in the band…) 

15.Message to the fans? What is it?

Well, I really want to thank everyone that supported Once Upon A Winter from the beginning. It really is amazing, and more than I could have ever imagined. If there is a chance that my music could offer some peaceful moments, be a companion for someone… it really means the world. Don’t let the shadows consume your precious moments, and be well. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment