NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, April 5, 2020

AXEMEN GUITAR INTERVIEW : Roberto Manfrinato / BLACK PHANTOM


1. Tell us your name and the band you play for

My name is Roberto Manfrinato, and I play lead and rhythm guitar in BLACK PHANTOM. 
  

2. Who made you want to pick up the guitar

My father introduced me to the world of music, by sending me to piano lessons, when I was 12. I kept on until 16, then I started to listen to rock and metal: I loved the sound of electric guitar, so I changed instrument!

3. Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

I've always taken lessons, until I had that chance time-wise. I think that you never stop learning, but as of now, between daily job and other commitments, it's impossible for me to take lessons anymore.

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?

Yes, of course, both of them. If I have to choose, anyway, I prefer Tabs, because of comfort.

5. Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?

I'm trying to find one. My current one is not that particular, but in my opinion it's the most fitting for the genre we're playing with BLACK PHANTOM (Traditional Heavy Metal).

6. Tell us about your guitar ( brand, model, year, color )
  

I've got many ones, and basically I love them all just the same, for different reasons.
The one I've used to record our new album "ZERO HOUR IS NOW" (released by Punishment 18 Records on March 20th) is a 1989 Jackson Soloist 1, made in USA, with Kahler bridge: this is a peculiarity, because usually I always use Floyd Rose bridges only.
I'm gonna use this specific guitar also on the tour to promote this album, as soon as we start again to be able to go on the road, of course.

7. What about pickups? Passive or active? Tell us about them

Seymour Duncan, with avery classic configuration: JB at the bridge and 59 (mini humbucker) at the neck, both of the passive. My guitar wasn't born this way, of course, so in order to get a proper sound to match the music we're playing I had to change them.

8. Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc

Marshall amplifier JCM 2000 DSL 100, modified by a famous italian designer called Sebastiano Barbirato of BRBS: he's also known as "The Marshall Guru", and before starting to develop his hown amplifiers line-up, he was really famous in Italy because of his deep knowledge regarding Marshall stuff! I have to thank a friend of mine for letting me get to know him, because he's done an excellent job (even if the starting material was already quite good). 
As speaker, I use a Peavy 2x12 with Sheffield cones, which is very practical to carry around and brings a real 80s sound, just as I like it.
  

9. Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy

I've got a pedalboard with analog pedals, basically nothing special effect-wise: the classic Boss pedals for chorus, delay, EQ, TC Electronic for boost and a second delay, Maxom as far as overdrive is concerned, all very simple and quite standard.

10. Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail...

I am very satisfied with my rig, but if I had to say now what I'd like to get besides what I already have, I would tell you a Hamer Chapparral 80s and an Ibanez JPM P1 as new guitars, and most probably very classic Marshall speakers 4x12 1960A.

11. What guitarist can you not stand?

Well, frankly speaking, I don't know. If you're talking about famous guitar players that play in big band, I'd say nobody. On the other hand, if you mean less-famous guitar players (or better, unknown ones!) that I had to deal with, probably I'd have some names, but I don't think it would matter to anyone...ahahah! 

12. Is tone more important or is technique?

As far as I'm concerned, tone all the way. 

13. Name your top 5 guitarist

Well, before going into names, I want to clarify that I don't think one is better that the other, that's just my personal taste! Anyhow: Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, Marty Friedman, Eddy Van Halen, Jeff Waters. These one, as pure guitar players and virtuosos, but let me add Glen Tipton over all, as a more artistic and heartfelt choice.

14. Who is the most overrated guitarist

Any NuMetal band guitar player... ahahah!! Ok, I'm just joking! Frankly speaking, I don't know. I think anyone can teach us something or shine in certain circumstances, because if a musician has reached certain levels, he certainly deserves it even eve are not able to grasp it. Certainly, you need skills to achieve results, because life doesn't give you anything for free.

15. Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive??

Guthrie Govan.

No comments:

Post a Comment