NIGHTMARE TOYS

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

BATTERY DRUMMER INTERVIEW : Richard Blankenship Haggardz Hellraizerz

1) What is your name and what band do you play for? 

Richard Blankenship
Haggardz Hellraizerz

2) Who made you want to play drums and why? 

Jimmy Chamberlin because of his work on "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" record. His playing is so dynamic, diverse, and defined. His technical phrasings have always been a keystone to my inspiration.


3) When did you get your first kit? Tell us about it.

I was 17 and the kit was a black no-name starter set that I bought for $500 ( way too much ) at a local music dealer in Oklahoma City in 2017. It was a pretty crappy 5 piece kit but I played on it for about 8 years. It served it's purpose until I was playing live gigs on a regular basis.

4) Were your parents supportive of you and your loud/expensive new habit?

Absolutely not, but I suppose a part of that lack of support awoke the rebel in me to do it anyway and to hit harder than ever during my formative years learning the basics.

5) What drum performance on an album is perfection to you?

Josh Freese on A Perfects Circle''s Thirteenth Step album.

6) Tell us about your current kit and set up in Detail.


I'm currently playing on an RMV 6 piece that I got back in 2004. I use any cymbal brand that sounds crisp and bright. I currently use Zildjian high-hats, Sabian Rock Ride, Paiste Crashes and Wuhan Chinas. I use DW 5000 double kick pedal and play with black Vic Firth 5A American Classics sticks. I prefer Aquarian drum heads because they take a beating and just sound better than any other brand on the RMV's.

7) If you could have a dream kit tell us about it in Detail?

DW Collector's Series Exotic Santos Rosewood Drum Set integrated with some digital pads and brain. Have dreamed of a whole set of 12-15 Paiste cymbals much like what Danny Carey has been using.

8) Name your top 5 drummers excluding Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy.

Jimmy Chamberlin - The Smashing Pumpkins
Josh Freese - A Perfect Circle 
Matt Cameron - Soundgarden
Braun Dailor - Mastadon
Danny Carey - Tool

9) Do you prefer Live or Studio?

I actually thrive in both environments, however, nothing quite hits the spot like a good live show run by a decent sound guy.

10) Do drummers really get all the chicks and if so how do we convince the guitarist?
  

Not from my perspective anyway. Too busy keeping an inventory of my kit to ensure I get home with all my wares to have time for any of that funny business. Besides, I'm not the type of musician that ever entered the field to 'get chicks.'





No comments:

Post a Comment