NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, November 11, 2019

THE AXEMEN SERIES : Chad McElwee / Then Falls The Sky

1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

Chad McElwee and I am one guitarist for Then Falls The Sky

2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar

 

I was 9 years old when Bush released a video for Comedown and I was hooked. My parents bought me a cheap guitar and very small amp and a years worth of lessons. So in a way Gavin Rosdale gave me that idea but my parents gave me that drive to actually do it.

3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

Well a mix of both. Took lessons at a young age in the classical styles, but as I got older I went thru the punk stage, grunge for a bit, but finally found my place in metal. I couldn’t always affor lessons so I’ve learned the hard way a lot, and learned from others when I could. I think that I am still learning to this day.

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?

Yes both, although I just prefer tab as I’m just more proficient in it.

5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?

 
 
Yes and no. I mean I like the modern UK metal sound, but with a little US hybrid. I have finally found a place where I’m not fooling with the knobs so to speak.

6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )

Well currently I’ve been playing my 2018 Ibanez 1027PB. I like the look. Features a popular burl top with blue burst finish. Basswood body, and a panga panga/walnut/maple/bloodheart 11 pc neck with a panga panga fretboard. Has the stock passive DiMarzio pickups(my least favorite part of the guitar) guitar sounds great and looks amazing. It’s also the exact one pictured on Sweetwater’s website. I got it right after they did the photo shoot for their web site.

7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them

DiMarzio passives but these really are not my preference. I’ve looked at getting some replacements, but I haven’t settled on anything yet. I’d like to keep them passive though where ever I land.

8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc
I’m currently in love with my Laney IRT 120. Picked it up used on a whim and just can’t imagine playing anything else. My Cab is Custom built with two vintage 30’s.


9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy

    
Wow where to begin? It’s kinda like my command station as the band calls it. I rout in with a sure GLXD wireless (worth every penny I’ve dropped it a million times till works great) into a bad horsy 2 wah pedal, from there into a tc electronics poly tune. Ibanez tube screamer mini then I have the boss ns2 in the x pattern to tame the bug zapper that is a high gain tube amp. Then in the fox loop back to the na 2 then to a secondary loop pedal which contains my MXR Corbin copy delay then my MXR Zak Whild chorus my normal lead tone combined with the 3rd channel of the laney. Then I also have the whampler ethereal delay and reverb and boss tera echo for the more atmospherical sounds. Worth noting I have the boss metal core pedal on there but I never use it.

10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..

Guitar first. I’ve come close a couple of times now on getting a custom built keisil Aries7 muilti scale but never pulled the trigger. One day I will have one though. Amp for recording I am in love with my Laney and don’t think I could even think about changing that. For live however I would love to have an Axe FX 3 just for less stage issues and I would love to have the pedalboard switches all controlled but midi so that I could be anywhere on stage at any time.

11.What guitarist can you not stand?

Jacob Smith

I12. Is tone more important or is technique?

  
I think the two are somewhat tied together. I mean tone is very important and technique applies to how that tone is heard. That why two different guitarist will sound different using the exact same setup.

13. Name your top 5 guitarist

Jason Richardson, 

Michael Padgett, 
Tom Searle, 
Lee McKinney,
 Craig Hoffman

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist

Jacob Smith

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

Michael Padgett hands down. I’ve saw a couple of his video lessons and would love that chance to sit in person.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment