NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, November 11, 2019

Unto the Wolves Year Two Album review by Allyson Kingsley

Unto the Wolves
Year Two
Album review by Allyson Kingsley music journalist with Metal Coffee/Metal Moose 
   Unto the Wolves is a different kind of project done by Gage Sifuentes, sole writer, performer, producer and recording engineer. He describes his project as having "one goal in mind, to inspire tolerance and acceptance of all races, religious beliefs and cultures". His lyrics are based on historical or religious writings and the music is beautifully heavy.  This album was definitely different for me to review because normally I don't pay any heed to political or religious topics. The relevance of the various songs and how they tie in to the here and now make Year Two a rather haunting and unforgettable album. 
   Based on the folklore stories of Mexico, "Validate the Pain" opens your eyes to how for many people religion and spirituality can be a balm to soothe them and help them cope with terrible circumstances. I apply it to myself in that heavy metal is my go-to in the good times and in my darkest times. (If only heavy metal  and Rock could be considered a religion). 
   "The Written Word" features some phenomenal riffing throughout and is based on the oral traditions of Celtic Druidism. I get the feeling that it is also relative to how people can misinterpret things so easily. "Immune to the Cold" is based on the legend of an Inuit woman who would go off hunting all alone and one day shape shifted into a wolf and was never seen again. How profound are the lyrics to me as they address a deep depression:
  'I've been waiting
   Immune to the cold
   I'm already dead within
   It's been so long
   My will to live grows thin.'
Their are not too many folks out there who have not felt this darkness. 
   I'll touch also upon "Doomsday", a song about the end of days and how people become desperate, unreasonable, violent and volatile. Very much like how our world has become in the last 5 to 10 years. Tell me these lyrics are not spot on:
   'A feeling now has consumed all existence
   You know you have felt it too
   The rise of anger and a stagnant fear
   Don't pretend this isn't inside you
   Life continues to pile on and on
   It builds turning frustration to hate'. 
   My choice track is "The Catacombs" as I really enjoyed the sound of it and the moral of the song is that no matter what we may be or perceive to be in life, we are all equal in death. As a registered nurse I can certainly attest to this as I have seen and held the hands of many who have passed.
   As I traveled through the album with my mind open and my ears attuned to the various nuances of the sounds, I was impressed by its uniqueness and creativity.


No comments:

Post a Comment