NIGHTMARE TOYS

Saturday, November 16, 2019

THE DEEP END SERIES : Dmitry “Dee” Pronin Circle Story,






Dmitry “Dee” Pronin (Circle Story, Strike, ex-Reds'cool, ex-Gaina; session bass-player)

  1. Why Bass?

Oh... it's a very interesting story. One night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream, and said:
«My son, I know you want to become rich and famous.Take it, it will help you..»
And he handed me an incomprehensible wooden object, with 4 stretched metal cables ...
Just kidding (laughs).
/
Everything was a little different. I was about 12 years old. I had a friend, we always hung out together, he loved Metallica, and I was an AC / DC fan (just like Beavis and Butt-head). So, once we wandered along the street, discussed our rock heroes, and I suggested: “Let's make a band together?”. And he agreed.

  
By the way, at that time we weren't able to play anything, we've never even held guitars in our hands. Well, we decided to choose who will play what. I wanted to play solo guitar like Angus Young. But he got ahead of me, and said he wanted to be a solo guitarist like Kirk Hammett. I was pissed off, and was like ... the drums are expensive, I'm a bit shy to sing ... well, and then I said that I would be a bass player. But I touched my first bass guitar only t a few years later. When I saw those frets, thick strings... pulled the string, and it made this fat, steel sound “Baaam”. It really took my breath away, I realized that bass guitar is mine.

  1. Do you think it is unfair or just lack of knowledge bass gets so little credit?
Honestly, I don't think that bass is somehow underestimated or not well known, or that it is not that popular. Who likes bass, plays it! Some like harp or violin, but that does not mean that these instruments are underestimated. To each his own.

  1. What kind of bass do you use? Model, color, year. And why?
      
    My main instrument is 1993 Musicman Stingray 5, natural color. I had a certain amount of bass guitars, but at some point I needed a versatile instrument. One of my friends advised me to pay attention to MM, and for over 10 years we have been inseparable. Although the 1988 Fender Precission appeared in my arsenal for a short while, I sold it too. MM is mine, like a katana for a samurai. By the way, in one of the projects I use the four-string Stingray 1982, also of a natural color. This is good guitar.


  1. Tell us about your amplification.
    In fact, in terms of equipment, I'm unpretentious. Depending on the task, I use two preamps from the Finnish company Darkglass Electronics: B7K Ultra 2 and Vintage Ultra 2. In 90% of cases, I connect them to the Return» input of the amplifier, so the amp itself is not so important for me. But then again, talking about amplifiers, I am quite traditional and prefer these brands: Ampeg, Trace Elliot, Gallen Krueger, Mark Bass, Marshall. I also prefer the 8x10 or 4x10 + 1x15.

  1. With all of that being said do you feel tone is an important thing for bass?
Of course. “Your sound” as well as your voice emphasizes your individuality, your personality.

  1. Do you prefer 5 strings over 4 string?
    This is an interesting question. I use 5-string bass, but I rarely use the 5th string, only when necessary. So ... 5 or 4 ... not so important to me. By the way, on a 82-string 4-mm MM, which I mentioned above, I use the 5th string instead of the 4th. Such a paradox.

  1. Who is your favorite bassist?
    There are a lot of them, and I also want to note that to a greater extent I give preference to singing bass players and multi-instrumental bassists. I will highlight some who will influenceв me, but the list goes on and on: Glenn Hughes, Marco Mendoza, John Paul Jones, Trevor Bolder, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius, Paul McCartney, Geezer Butler, Bob Daisley, Bobby Vega , Roger Waters, Sting, Scott Devine, Dylan Wilson, Duff McKagan and many others.


  1. Who is your least favorite bassist?
    Davie504 :)

9. Why do you think women seem to be attracted to playing bass?
Because art has no gender. Among women, as well as among men, there are a lot of talented musicians. Think of Carol Kaye, Tal Wilkenfeld or Nikki West...

  1. What bassist dead or alive would you like a private lesson with?
    Jaco Pastorius, Jack Bruce
  1. Bonus question. Bobby Doll, Nikki Sixx, Les Claypool, Billy Sheehan - which is more ridiculous and why?
Are you kidding me?! Of course, Claypool Forest! Are you still asking why? It is enough to see him once. At the same time, he is an excellent and incredibly talented musician, and he has an excellent sense of humor.





No comments:

Post a Comment