NIGHTMARE TOYS

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

THE AXEMEN SERIES : BRYAN / INGRAVES

  1. 1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

    Hi there my name’s Bryan and I’m one of the guitarist for the Scottish metal band Ingraves.
https://www.facebook.com/IngravesUK/     

  1. 2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar

    That’s a slightly embarrassing question for me to be honest. The first kind of band/artist that get me into wanting to play guitar was actually Busted ( I know, I know, I was very young ) And it was mainly Charlie Simpson that I liked and even at that I started as a bass play for a good few years before I even picked up a proper guitar.


  1. 3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

    I did have a few bass guitar lesson when I started off and a handful of guitar lessons, I got taught how to read guitar tabs very early on so I stopped going and majority of the way I play now is self taught, jamming with other people and annoying the hell out of my parents to get my the ultimate guitar magazine’s with the backing track CD's.


  1. 4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?  

I know very little theory when it comes to music, so no i can’t read sheet music. Majority of the songs I’ve learned and don’t remember how to play was through tab but I have been working on my theory knowledge of late.
  1. 5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?

    I’ll leave that up for you guys to listen and debate. I’m quite a heavy handed guitar player and I think that effects the way I sound and how I shape my tones. I’d like to think I have my own style and tone but don’t we all??


  1. Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )

    So at the moment I’m using a PRS SVN limited edition stealth 7 string, sure it’s a 2019 model and they’re hard to find in UK market at all, I’ve only see one in person and that’s the one I own. The stealth finish is a black/grey full body and neck satin finish so it’s great for those really sweaty shows as it helps with my hands and arms not stick to the neck or body of the guitar.
       
  1. 7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them

    I changed out the original pickups out of the PRS as they were a bit mucky sounding and didn’t have enough clarity for my liking. I changed them to Seymour Duncan Mark Holcomb alpha omega signature set, I have his signature PRS 6 string and fell in love with those pickups. They’re passive, high out put but clean up amazingly and can be used for more than just metal.
   

  1. Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc

    I recently changed to a line 6 helix rack, I’ve been wanting to go digital for a few years now and my needs for Ingraves meant I finally hand an excuse to buy one. A normal set up for my is running a line to the front of house with impulse responses and then another line into my matrix gt800fx power amp which gets blasted through my 2x12 with retrofitted celestion F12-X200 speakers which are great for modelling amps as they’re a flat response, means they play nicely with the impulse responses I use.
     

  1. Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy

    Yes and no.... I use the helix controller to do all my patch changes, I kind of miss having a big fancy pedal board but with my current set up I don’t have to tap dance on my board all night. Only pedals I’m running are in the Fx loop of the helix which are, a  horizon device’s precision drive and a boss RV6 reverb pedal.


  1. Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..

    To be honest I kind of already have my dream rig probably the only amps I’d really like to own would be a PRS Archon 100 and the newer axe fx III.

  1.  What guitarist can you not stand?

    Can’t really say any particular guitarist, more the style of the player. I’m not all into massive fancy shred guys, I can appreciate it but I think sometimes they can try a bit to much and over play for the sake of being technical. I’d take feel over technicality when listening to any musician
  

  1. Is tone more important or is technique?

    They’re both hand in hand I would say, but if you can’t play the parts you’re writing or playing it doesn’t matter how good your tone is, so I think developing both is the way to go and a lot of your tone is in your own hands which shapes your overall sound.


  1. Name your top 5 guitarist

    Mark Holcomb, 
    Charlie Simpson ( honestly check out some of his fightstar stuff ) Stephen Carpenter,
     Matt Heafy and
     Mark Tremonti.


  1. Who is the most overrated guitarist

    Tough one... for me I would say Slash, hear me out on this... is he good?? Yes, is he in the top tier of guitar players like Guthrie Govan, Petrucci and likes?? No but he was in a pretty massive band and I think people think he’s better than what he actual is.


  1. Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

    Hands down Mark Holcomb from Periphery, the guy is just insanely good guitar player, makes everything look effortless. I try and fail miserably to copy some of his style/techniques and integrate it in to my style of playing.



No comments:

Post a Comment