NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, November 18, 2019

BATTERY SERIES : NORSE AGAIN I THINK










https://www.facebook.com/norse.official/
1.What is your name and what band do you play for?

Robin stone, I currently play for Norse,  Convulsing, rise of avernus, somnium nox, greytomb, sorathian dawn, and others..

2.Who made you want to play drums and why?

 I can hardly  remember haha! Everyone in my family played music,  it was just a natural progression.

3.When did you get your first kit? Tell us about it…

1998! I was 12... My parents drove me 150ks from the farm we lived on,  to Sydney and i got a 1980's pearl export! I also got Macdonalds on the drive home. WHAT A DAY!!

4.Where your parents supportive of you and your loud / expensive new habit?

Yes! They were in a touring band in the 70's so they  knew what it was all about
They set me up in a little mud brick studio, and I had a walkman and 4 Beatles cassettes. I'd go untill my batteries ran out haha

5.What drum performance on an album is perfection to you?

I remember hearing Jans drum performance on Mayhems album ' chimera',  and thinkng it didn't get any better than that! Also Stewart Copeland was just ridiculous.

6.Tell us about your current kit and set up in DETAIL.


I have a few, my live rig is whatever is at the venue, my studio kits are vintage sonor signatures from the 1980's, heavy beech with bubinga and ebony veneers, super heavy, very focused and punchy. Perfect for all the studio work I do. All sizes from 22"  to 10". Cast bronze snares for studio. They are unmatched in sound.
I'm currently signed with sonor, axis, rech cymbals and ibbotson drumsticks

7.If you could have a dream kit tell us about it in DETAIL

I play it every day :) it took me 4 years of saving for it!

8.Name your top 5 drummers excluding Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy

I don't really swoon over  all the big name drummers, I love seeing people just quietly smashing  out a career without any fuss or hype... so:
Anyone who is booked out solid with work
Anyone who can cover ventian snares tracks
Anyone struggling to play impossible parts programmed by guitarists
People who can fill in at a moment's notice.


9. Do you prefer Live or Studio?

I did a heap of touring when I was younger, it was good, and i learnt a lot! but now with family, I love studio work. Especially as I have my own studio set up, I can work at my own pace  ( as long as jobs don't pile up!)

I specialize in remote tracking, which means working by myself all the time, and working with artists via email and messages, that can be tricky sometimes, but I've been doing it for 7 years now, so I have it pretty under control :)

10.Do drummers really get all the chicks and if so how do we convince the guitarist?

I havn't kept any poultry  for ages now. I'd like to get some for my kids, maybe some geese too! Free eggs are the best!












No comments:

Post a Comment