NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, November 18, 2019

THE DEEP END SERIES ; JOLA STILES /FINAL COIL








 


1.Why Bass?


Well, bass is not the first instrument which I was taught to play. When I was eight I really wanted to play piano, so I convinced my parents to send me to private lessons with a music teacher. Shortly after that I joined a local music school, where for four years I was studying flute and theory of music. During that time I was playing in an orchestra, where we played classical standards. Once I had that musical background, I joined a jazz band, where I still played flute.




Meanwhile, in my free time I learnt to play classical guitar – just for my own satisfaction. While I was a teenager, I had the opportunity to join local punk bands, which was very different but really cool. So, as you can see I was involved in a big range of music experimentation, which I really enjoyed, and I’ve never regretted those decisions, as I would not be able to be where I am now without them. It definitely helped me to be more open minded to new suggestions, which come from members of our band.


So... Why bass? Phil (the leader of a Final Coil) had been looking for a permanent bass player for some time, so I offered to learn just few songs for a coming event, just to help them out. After the show, they stopped looking for another bass player (which I actually realized a few months after the fact, hehe) and I got quite involved and happy to be a part of that project. At first, I didn’t think I’d get so into it, but playing in both an orchestra and a jazz band, you can really see the importance of layers of instruments which provide the background to a main melody and add to the character of a given piece of art. It creates a bigger picture, richer in sound and more interesting for the listener. I do admire those musicians who understand that point. In my opinion, a bass player’s role in a band often comes under those conditions.


That said, experimentation with the bass, and treating it almost as a lead guitar can also be interesting, and who said that can’t be done or is not acceptable? These days, with technology and the access we have thanks to the internet, we are able to expand our horizons in so many different ways. We are able to get information, exchange experiences and find the right tools for what we would like to achieve. For a band like Final Coil, it gives a great opportunity to create more interesting pieces of music. Sometimes it might be a new effect added to bridge between choruses, another time we need to restrain ourselves and give way so other instruments can stand out and shine.



2.Do you think it is unfair or just lack of knowledge bass gets so little credit?




I don’t think it is unfair, I have never felt that way. If you take your music seriously and want to give your music a chance to be heard by a wider audience, you have to make your music sound as good as humanly possible – it is not just four individuals within a band any more, it’s the work of a whole team of people. We have had the opportunity to work with fantastic sound engineers, photographers, producers, artists and managers, who help us to put everything together in the best possible form. And I would argue that it is not fair that those people do not get enough credit – maybe that is the reason we are always trying to expose them in our interviews. In my opinion there is a time and place in a band for everyone, and as long as you are happy with position you have embraced, that is all that matters.


However, I can see the argument that bass players don’t necessarily get enough credit within music in general. But I think maybe it’s rather like this – when a band has a bad (or bland) bass player, then people will notice for sure, but when the bass player is good, it fits so seamlessly into the music that it gets overlooked – maybe because, as I said earlier, the bass can become one layer within a greater whole. Nevertheless, I am always putting attention on what other bass players are doing and I admire the skills and ideas they bring into the band with whom they’re playing. Even then, I am fully aware that what makes their music interesting for me is the whole concept at the end and not the musicianship of a given individual (on whatever instrument). Some bands have really skilled musicians, but their music is simply boring because it lacks soul!



3.What kind of bass do you use? Model , color , year , And why


I have few bass guitars in my home, but my favorite is my Fender Jazz bass – it has a good stable sound with depth and the possibility to create dynamic sound. It’s reliable during concerts, light and just pretty, hehe.



4.Tell us about your amplification




For the last few years I have been using a Fender Rumble 100R Combo amp. It works well with my bass guitars. We are able to set up a sound in the way that is very often noticed, either by other bands or those who come to see us. It’s also a great amp for pedals and, as we all use a lot of effects, it’s important not to have an amp that colours the tone too much. Anyway, that’s my go-to amp in the rehearsal studio.


For live work, I recently purchased a new amp head : the TC Electronic Thrust BQ500 and, although it is very small and light head (which is very practical), it still sounds massive with a very punchy tone. It has added a thrust knob, which helps sets a dynamic range. It is a good amp for gigs as well as studio playing, and I really like the fact you can plug your headphones into it so I don’t deafen the neighbours anymore whilst practicing!







5. With all of that being said do you feel tone is an important thing for bass?


 

    Of course! Tone gives character to the music were playing, for example the right tone can give more precision and depth to the music whilst a poor tone will muddy the overall sound of the band and you lose so much through that. Look at the sound of Tool, for example and how crisp and clear Justin’s playing is. It may have a distorted edge to give it depth, but it’s always clear what he’s playing and it drives the music. In other instances, you can have a darker, almost drone-like tone (like Neurosis), which provides the backdrop on which the other musicians can create their soundscapes. I work hard to get the right tone for my playing. We spent a lot of time in the studio thinking about which effects to apply and when, so as to create the right atmosphere. So, a song like The Last Battle, where it’s just drum and bass at the start, we had to get exactly the right balance between power and clarity, so that the notes rang true but the heavy groove was also there. In many ways, I’d argue tone is almost more important for the bass than the guitars because without a good foundation, a huge amount of a song is lost – just ask Roger Waters hehe.



6.Do you prefer 5 strings over 4 string?


I use a four-string bass (tuned to drop C sharp). I don’t see a use for five strings in our music at the moment but, if that changes in the future, I would consider getting one. For me, it’s all about having the right tools for the job.


7.Who is your favourite bassist?


As I’ve said, I really like it when bassists create a good background for other instruments. In other words, when the bass player provides the right backdrop, the guitar or drums can stand out. I like those bassists who are sensitive to dynamic and can also pin down the rhythm. If you watch people at gigs and they start tapping away or nodding their heads - very often it is to a bass line – and I am sure they are not aware of that fact. So for me as a bass player it is a very pleasant experience on stage seeing all those people getting into the groove of what I’m playing, so coming back to your previous questions about bass players not having enough attention – well there is attention but maybe not conscious attention.


As for specific people, I really like the bassist from The Cure, Simon Gallup. From the melodies he creates to accompany the guitars, which are remarkable, through the unique bass sound he has, which is almost dub in places, to his stage presence – he really brings an additional layer to those songs and his performance on the stage is second to none. He so obviously really enjoys every minute of the performance. If you listen any to their album next time try to imagine what it would sound like without his bass lines...


Another artist whom I really like is Norman Watt-Roy, who has played with Wilko Johnson for over a thirty years. His career as a musician and composer is impressive. His bass skills are fantastic and he looks like he was born with a bass in his hand. The way he plays with Wilko is unique in my opinion. They both have so many skills and their passion for the music, coupled with the obvious joy of playing together, is so inspiring for me. That passion is what I look for in any artist and it’s something I always try to bring to Final Coil.


I would like to also mention the bassist from my favourite band, Tool. Justin Chancellor is just amazing and he characterises everything I described earlier. Sometimes, his bass is just a layer within a greater piece of music, at other times, his bass is the song, and the way he achieves a tone that manages to be aggressive and yet soulful at the same time is definitely something I aspire to in my own playing. My favourite record, “Lateralus”, came out nearly twenty years ago and is still my favourite one. The band uses unusual time signatures, which really takes the music to another level. The whole record is worth dipping into as it is a masterpiece.



8. Who is your least favourite bassist?


I do not waste my life listening to bad music and I do not see the point of giving attention to those who simply do not deserve it.



9.Why do you think women seem to be attracted to playing bass?


 

I don’t know why woman are attracted to playing bass, or even if that’s specifically true, although I can certainly think of a number of female bassists in acts such as The Smashing Pumpkins and A Perfect Circle. I can only say why I like playing bass – as you know already I do play other instruments as well and I just think about myself as a musician, not as a woman musician. I did grow up in a society where no one was surprise that I was playing an electric guitar in a punk band. I was listening to bands like Hole, so what has happened in our society over the last twenty years that people are surprised that I am female and bassist? I find that bizarre, but if my presence in the music scene is inspiring for others – I am very happy about that.



10. What bassist dead or alive would you like a private lesson with?


I think that I’d choose Norman Watt-Roy from Wilko’s band– not only is he a fantastic musician, but he also seems like a great personality with whom I would love to hang around. He’s so full of passion and love for the music – I can’t help but think it would be amazing to spend some time speaking with him about his career.


11. Bonus question

Bobby Doll , Nikki Sixx , Les Claypool , Billy Sheehan which is more ridiculous and why


I am not sure if a word ridiculous is the right word to describe those artists, it has a negative and dismissive tone. I would rather describe them as extreme in their profession. If you are skilled musician, know all the rules and feel like breaking them, why not? Music is a progressive art form and their work has led and inspired other musicians to do something more adventurous.


Les Claypool from Primus in particular, at least for me, his approach to bass guitar as a lead instrument is so innovative it fits the band concept very well, it’s what makes them so unique. At the end of a day artists who are able to create a new feelings and free interpretations are needed, otherwise we would be listening to the same songs over and over again.



 



 




  




WWW.THEMETALMOOSE.COM

1 comment: