NIGHTMARE TOYS

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

INTERVIEW WITH Marion / SWARMAGEDDON


1.Please introduce yourself and tell us who you sing for

My name is Marion and I'm the founder and the singer of Swarmageddon, a French metal band. 




2.What / Who made you want to sing?

As far as I can remember, I've always loved listening to music and singing: it was my outlet. My dad also listened to a lot of music when I was younger: many bands like Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Queen, Pink Floyd... I think that necessarily influenced me. 

3.Who was the first singer you saw live that gave you chills?

Spiros Antoniou, the singer and bassist of SepticFlesh. 

4.Many people say heavy music is just screaming, How would you combat that statement?

I think it's not just screaming : with Swarmageddon, for example, I occasionally use clean vocals. But in my opinion, screaming still requires a real technique to avoid risk of hurting yourself while practicing.

5.If you growl or do harsh vocals how do you keep your voice after such violent performances?

I try not to speak too much and too loudly. I also drink a lot of water and herbal teas. Never cigarettes, alcohol… 

6. Do you have a warm up routine? Tell us bout it ?

My warm-up routine starts with full body stretches. Then I perform various exercises with breathing workouts, lip rolls, scales… I think it’s a really important thing.

7. Do you think power or performance is more important?

Both are equally important. But you have to be a fucking good singer to captivate the audience without doing the show.

8. Who do you think gets unfair vocal praise, someone the world thinks is great but is not? / And who is great but does not get the credit?
I will not give you names. 

About the "overrated" singers, I think they still have qualities perhaps other than purely musical to have reached their level of notoriety.
And regarding "underrated" singers, unfortunately, it's a fact: music is not a meritocracy. 

9.Name your top 5 vocalist
Freddie Mercury
Devin Townsend
Floor Jansen
Amy Lee
Angela Gossow


10.Micheal Buble or Jim Gallette? Just testing your skills here
Sorry, I don't know them. 

11.Who do you love to listen to that would surprise people?

I don't really know if it would surprise people, but I love to listen to opera, trip hop and synthwave: Patricia Petitbon, Massive Attack, Portishead, Perturbator, etc.. 

12.If you could remove the autotune from any singer who would it be?

I would remove the autotune from all the bad French rappers. You probably don’t know them but, the whole scene is fucked by this thing.




 

1 comment: