NIGHTMARE TOYS

Saturday, June 13, 2020

AXEMEN GUITAR INTERVIEW : Ryan Webb

1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

My name is Ryan Webb and my band is also called Ryan Webb!
 
2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar

Yngwie Malmsteen. When I saw a video of him playing, I then researched and came across John Petrucci, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. They were incredible.

3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

Self taught – well, I taught myself by constantly watching videos of the best guitarists and just kept practicing.

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?

No I can’t read music, so far it hasn’t been necessary for me to. I can read tab though.
.

5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?

I actually feel that I do now. It’s taken me quite a few years to find it. The main reason for that I think is that for many years I only ever performed covers, and not one particular genre either. I literally covered anything I was asked: reggae, rock, hard rock, pop, classic rock, rap – you name it I did it. When I finally decided to only concentrate on my own music, I was taken through the different genres before finally settling on my most recent work which is the harder side of rock. I feel very comfortable with this sound now.

6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )

Ohhh, which one? The first Christmas present I got from my wife was a metallic gold, limited JS 2000 Series Ibanez, which we eventually got signed by Joe himself (a meet and greet present from Sonya too) about 3 or 4 years later. Absolutely love that guitar. 

The next gift I got from Sonya (I know, I’m really lucky!) was an Ibanez Jem 70V series (2012). It’s a sea foam green in colour, and is rather beautiful. 

My newest guitar is an amazing Schecter Synyster Gates (would you believe I can’t find any record of the year – can I get back to you?) It’s a great looking monster - black with gold stripes and perfect for the heavier music I’ve been writing.

Takamine P2DC acoustic – now I have to be honest here, I am not a keen acoustic player!

Ovation Standard Elite Acoustic – as above (not my favourite instrument as I love my electric guitars!)

Jackson Pro Series DK25 (I believe it’s from the 1980s)
  
Fender American Standard Stratocaster 2010

Fender American Standard Jazz Bass (not too sure of the year of this one either!)

7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them

Passive.
Seymour Duncan invaders – an aggressive beast of a pick up with a wide range of tonal possibilities. I also use Dimarzio pick ups and at times EMGs too.

8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc

Don’t use amplifiers – I use Axe FX 2 XL. I use modellers at the moment.
 
9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy

Fractal Audio MFC which controls my AXE FX 
Line 6 Helix floor board
 
10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..

Where shall I start?
For me I would need to have a dream tech with me in order for the dream rig to work. The rig itself, I would love to have my own custom made guitars (either Ibanez or Schecter, or Music Man – or am I asking too much here?) Then a Mesa Boogie stereo amp rig. A simple but effective FX rack system that works like a dream. Also, having the best in ear monitoring system that is also reliable and effective. I use an in ear monitoring and guitar wireless system now – a Shure PSM300 as I believe it makes the band tighter on stage. 

11.What guitarist can you not stand?
  
I wouldn’t say that I can’t stand any guitarist to be honest. Everyone has their own style, and who am I to judge?

I12. Is tone more important or is technique?

I think that both are important. They both play an important role is crafting your sound.

13. Name your top 5 guitarist
1) John Petrucci
2) Joe Satriani
3) David Gilmour
4) Steve Vai 
5) Jimmy Page

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist

I don’t think there is actually an overrated guitarist. If they are considered overrated then I believe it’s more down to their attitude and not their guitar skills. (However, please don’t shoot me here….I did see Slash a few years back and I wasn’t actually impressed!!) *Slash Way overrated Wes J 

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

John Petrucci – I love his approach to his playing style and technique, as well as his perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment