NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, June 18, 2018

TRAYL INTERVIEW

1. Please tell us about the history of your band and its members. 

Trayl started out in late 2012 with me just messing around the computer, recording songs here and there. I was unhappy in the band I was in at the time so I wanted to have a stress free creative work space. I ended up writing a lot of songs in a very small space of time. I figured that I should record it and make an album! The fact that I can already play every instrument myself made more fun. Today Trayl is still a one man band and I plan on keeping it that way.



2. What’s the origin of the band’s name?

Finding a band name took quite some time. I loved the word "trail" since I'm a very outdoorsy guy that loves nature, as well as the name itself having a very metaphoric meaning. I later found out that there was already a band out there called Trail so I just switched the "i' to a "y" with the hope that the name would be more noticeable.



 3. Where is the band based out of and what is your music scene like there? Are there any local bands you could recommend? 

I'm based out of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The metal scene is definitely there, not as strong as lets say Montreal but like any city in the world we do have some gems here and there. Unfortunately you'll only find our scene gather up in one spot downtown for the most part.



4. How would you describe your style?

I have hundreds of influences spanning from classic rock to alternative rock, prog, 90s techno, american death metal, swedish deathmetal, metalcore... The list just goes on and on. I really don't know how to describe the music I write. There's a lot in there. I don't really care about the style of my music as much as I hope the listener enjoys it.


 5. What have you released so far and what can someone expect from your works? 

I've got one EP and two LPs out. Both albums have a different sound to them. It's not something I planned it just kinda happened. "Civil" has a blues/doom/sludge style, where as "As the Trees Take the Ruins" has a more prog metal element to it.

6. Do you have any new music in the works? 

I'm currently finishing up the vocal tracks for the latest album which should be released sometime this summer. You can expect this album to be a lot heavier, faster and more technical than the previous albums.


7. How about playing shows and touring, have anything planned out? 


The only unfortunate thing about being a one man band is that I can't do any of that. I always had the thought of rounding up some friends and playing shows but I don't see that happening anytime soon unfortunately.


8. What plans do you have for the future as a band? 

 I just want to put A lot of good music out there. I don't know what the future holds, I just know that I want to keep doing this for a very long time.



9. Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff? 

 Bandcamp is the best spot to listen. All the albums are there, for free! I never wanted to make any money off my music, that being said merch is not for sale. Maybe if I get real big I'll start selling merch. Hahaha.



10. What is it you’d like a listener to remember the most when hearing your music for the first time?

That's a tough one. I guess I would hope that who ever is listening to Trayl appreciates the vastness of the music as well as the story the song is telling. A lot of time and effort gets put into each song and I really hope whoever enjoys it keeps enjoying it rather than it becoming stale after a few listens.



No comments:

Post a Comment