NIGHTMARE TOYS

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

BEING ALIVE IS BEAUTIFUL THE SEARCH FOR PEACE

 Hi there. Thanks for taking your time for answering this questions. Could you introduce yourself and why the name’s choice? 



Hi and thank you! My name is Christina Earlymorn and I play for Being “alive” is beautiful. The name came through a massive depression I´ve felt back in 2017. Being “alive” means sarcasm towards life, because sometimes I´ve just felt like only existing and not really to be alive. I think you know what ya mean.

 Let’s talk about your logo. It was you, who designed it? What ideas did you have for it?

 Yes. I was the designer of the logo. Well. I hadn´t a special idea for it. I just swinged it with a pencil on a piece of paper and scanned it later with my scanner to finish it up digitally. 

Your style is Doom/DSBM. When did you realize these genres fit together so well? 

Tbh. I was in a very great depression as I recorded the first album. Originally I wanted to jump in front of a train before, but I thought to myself: “Before I do that I will scream out my frustrations BIG TIME!” - Due to that I was very lazy and skipped recording any rhythm guitars. So there is no Guitars. Only at one song I sneaked in a lil guitar solo, which I hate today lol I figured out, that the mood is (In my music with Being “alive”) transproted the best if the sound is heavy, slow and doomy sounding. The depressive black metal bit on the other side of the coin just goes hand in hand, because myself listen to DSBM alot if I am down. I love the expression of artists such as THY LIGHT, I AM IN A COFFIN or HAPPY DAYS. 


Do you only listen to Doom and Black Metal? Or do listen to other band? Which are they?

 No. I don´t. I listen to Jazz, Hip Hop, Blues, Rock, Metal, some Country and Classical music. I love bands/artists like ZZ Top, Joe Bonamassa, Black Label Society, Pantera, Megadeth, Type O Negative, BB King, Mozart, Bach, Paganini, Richard Wagner, Testament, Tsjuder, Sargeist, A Pale Horse Named Death, Graveyard, Gorgoroth, Watain, Motörhead, Thy Light, Advent Sorrow, Slayer, The Dead South, Ghostemane and Sleep. 


Your journey started in June 2017, with an EP “Schutt und Asche”. Two years after, “Unfrieden” was released. What was more difficult for you? Playing all the instruments or writing the lyrics?

 What were your inspirations in those years? Both albums have been driven by depression. So I didn´t felt it hard. One thing just came to another. If I am depressed alot of lyrics pop into my head like a machine gun. Same as with riffs. Its strange, because it seems that depression always has boosted my creativity lol 

Congrats on signing with Talheim Records / Talheim Records Germany. 

How long have you been searching for a label that could understand and fulfil your needs? Thank you! I wasn´t pretty active searching for a label. I just gave it a shot and wrote to him. I just wanted to have a partner who can help me produce some physical stuff of my music. So I am glad that I´ve found a very good partner with the Talheim Records family! “Frieden” means Peace in German and will be released on November 28th. 

Is that the reason you decided to let go the black and white cover this time? 



No. If you look closely it is the same tree that is appearing on the previous album UNFRIEDEN. At Unfrieden the tree is dead naked. On FRIEDEN the tree somehow managed to get alive again. I saw a kinda phoenix in it which basically discribes my path with overcoming and dealing with depression. - I know it looks strange for a Doom/Dsbm cover, but to me it is very fitting to have (even in this dark music) a little ray of light shining upon your head. In the song “Frieden” (Peace) there is the eternal search for peace themed. Just take a look at this world right now. Everyone talks about equality and freedom. It´s all bullshit IMHO, because there is no Frieden! There is no peace! We all search for it, but we rarely can find it. Thats the theme of the song and basically the complete album. - The album cover with all the sunshine and the nice landscape compared to the music shall be a total scam, because the music is dark, slow and very aggressive. I imagine (With a smiling face) some elderly women or men buying that CD in a store just because it looks nice and then getting blasted away by hearing its first song after the opening! Hahahahahaha! 


What guitars and other instruments did you use this time to achieve the perfect sound? And the inspirations to write the songs? What were they? 

As I mentioned before there are no guitars to hear. It is all Bass, Drums and Vocals. But for the intro I composed a little track on the Keyboard. Some kind of piano. - I have a guest singer on the track REGEN (Engl. Rain) Stevie Steel is more of a 80´s metal singer and adds a cool sick twist to my black metal raspy screams! I love when he sings his part! Also I sung some falsetto/opera style background vocals in one of the tracks of the new album and there is a slight dip of black ´n roll in one of the songs, too! But overall the rest is classic Being “alive” is beautiful with primitive riffs, heavy bass sounds, pounding drums and high black metal vocals.


 I know from your Facebook page that you are shooting a video. Can you give us more details, please? The name of the music? The director? The idea for it? 

Sure I can! I shot a video for the song REGEN (In which also my guest singer is appearing in the video) In the song “Regen” (Engl. Rain) I themed the current corona situation. Lockdowns, ppl getting crazy, businesses dying and all the negative shit going on with it. - In germany there is a saying: “Im Regen stehen gelassen” - Which means: “Left standing in the rain” without anyone helping you in your present situation or with your current problems. You simply get neglected while you suffer. I directed the video for it as I did for all other videos in Being “alive”. My boyfriend and my mom sometimes help me out by filming. Also I have a little standee to clip my smartphone to it. The idea for the REGEN video came spontaneous as I drove in heavy rain to my boyfriend's place in the middle of the night. The rain seemed endless and it was so chaotic as the current time seems to be. So I parked my car and took a walk without an umbrella and filming me getting soaking wet. That was the fundament that started the complete idea for the music video of the song. 

If you could sing with someone or write a song, who would it be and why? 


Zakk Wylde. I am a very big fan of his music and he inspires me every day. Thanks so much for answering. Any final words you’d like to share? Thank you very very much for this great interview! I really dug the questions! I wish you, my fans, and all the readers here the MAXIMUM of health, that their businesses stay alive and keep on growing bigger! We are all in this together! I am nothing bigger or better than you guys! Please stay safe y´all!



No comments:

Post a Comment