NIGHTMARE TOYS

Thursday, September 10, 2020

DEEP AND HARD BASS INTERVIEW : GABOR / Continoom

 


1.Why Bass?

 

This is a funny one: I was having some beers with my friends during high-school - underaged drinking is bad! - and we were talking about starting a band. One of the guys played the guitars, and all the rest of them decided what instrument they would pick. I wanted to be part of this, and since there was nothing else left, I told that I’ll play the bass. As it turned out the rest of the guys didn’t take it that seriously, but I did: in a couple of days I was sitting at my first guitar lesson.

 


 

2.Do you think it is unfair or just lack of knowledge bass gets so little credit?

 

It’s a kind of natural thing that lead guitarists and singers get more recognized, but I don’t think that the situation of bassists would be that bad. On the contrary, guys - and girls - paying at the low end can get a lot of attention if they do their job right. Of course it depends on the genre, but I think a bassist with a nice sound, good technique, nasty riffs and a good voice can be the favourite of the fans just like any other band member.

 


 

3.What kind of bass do you use? Model , color , year , And why

 

My main instrument for Continoom is a Schecter Stiletto stage-5 2017 model in black. I just love it’s dirty, modern sound. Many would think that is was designed for metal, but it fits into funk, rock and pop very well too. I also have a Mexican Fender Jazz Bass, sunburst 4 string bass. On paper this is a more simple instrument, but actually it’s a uniquely well-constructed awesome guitar. I used in the conservatory and also during the early years of Continoom.

 

 

4.Tell us about your amplification

 

After using various amps (Ampeq, TC Electronic, Silverblade, EBS), but I don’t use any amplifiers and cabinets anymore. Continoom is my only band right now and we use an in-ear monitor system, so I don’t really need any cabs behind me. I use an iRig Stomp IO board with Amplitube software running on an iPad instead - look at the picture to see how tiny it is compared to a guitarist’s pedal board -  and I’m really satisfied with it. It has various amp simulations on it and also lets the real voice of my guitar through.

 

 


5. With all of that being said do you feel tone is an important thing for bass?

 

Of course it is. Actually it’s probably the most important besides accuracy. Tone is the combination of a good gear and a good picking technique, and it’s also the way to show your personality.

 

 

6.Do you prefer 5 strings over 4 string?

 

If it comes to metal music, usually players can’t avoid landing at a 5 string bass. The same happened to me. I still like 4 string basses just like my Fender, but life is easier in Continoom with the 5 strings bass, while it’s also a better match due to the low sounds.

 

 

7.Who is your favorite bassist?

 


When it comes to playing the bass, my taste is quite simple. I have always respected bassists with great and complex technique, but my real favorites play in a more simple, instinctive way, just as I prefer to do it as well. For this reason, my favorites are Bootsy Collins or T.M. Stevens, who are some of the funkiest bassists and singers in the world. I also would like to highlight my teacher and mentor, Miklós Anga-Kis (Subscribe, Useme).

 

 

8. Who is your least favorite bassist?

 

I don’t have any specific player who I would mention as least favourite as bassist, or playing any other instrument. However, in general I can’t stand musicians who have no message or story to be told at all, those guys have always been a kind of fake for me.  

 

 

9.Why do you think women seem to be attracted to playing bass?

 

Yes, they are! I have already realized this, but don’t know the answer. Probably because they can hang out this way with handsome bass players more? ;)  

 

 

10. What bassist dead or alive would you like a private lesson with?

 

If there is only one, then I’d pick Bootsy Collins or Lemmy. But there are so many legends, who could show me a lot...

 

 

11. Bonus question

Bobby Doll , Nikki Sixx , Les Claypool , Billy Sheehan  which is more ridiculous and why

 


Les Claypool - creazy funk guy with creazy outfit and an amazing sense of humor.




No comments:

Post a Comment