NIGHTMARE TOYS

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Vokills -The New Mutiny -Jason

 

https://www.facebook.com/thenewmutiny/

Vokills -The New Mutiny -Jason


1. My name is Jason and I am the vocalist/guitarist for The New Mutiny

2.

If I had my choice I’d rather just play guitar but started singing so I could perform songs solo when I started getting serious about my guitar playing in high school and it kinda just stuck.




3.

Man, most live shows will give me chills just because of the energy coming off of the stage but the first time I really remember being throttled by a vocalist was in 2012 when I saw The Civil Wars at Bonnaroo. Joy Williams had me in tears the entire set. 

4.

I prefer edged weapons when engaging an opponent in combat.



5.

I don’t generally growl or scream but there are definitely songs we have where I’m pushing my limits so I usually drink coffee or tea. Throat Coat tea and vocal spray are godsends. Quitting smoking was probably the biggest help recently though. 

6.

I usually just sing along with the car stereo on the way to the gig and do really low inaudible humming/growling like a happy kitty cat, randomly to until set time to get the vocal chords limbered up.

7.

It depends. There are some instances when a song calls for more power to get the feel across and others where the pitch has to be on point or the composition falls apart. 

8.

Stevie Nicks. She bleats like a sheep and everyone acts like they can’t hear it. As far as underrated vocalists, that’s kind of a tough question. Trent Reznor comes to mind. You always hear NIN brought up as a whole but I don’t think I’ve ever had a conversation specifically about his vocals. I don’t think I ever seriously thought about it myself until I heard How To Destroy Angels with his wife singing. His music just doesn’t hit as hard without his voice. 



9.

Alison Kraus 

        Chino Moreno 

        Kurt Cobain

        Maynard James Keenan

        Layne Staley

10.

Silly ass hair metal it is. Jim.

11.

Bjork, Amy Winehouse, Nina Simone 

12.

Any artist using it as a crutch. It can be a useful tool and a rad effect, but if it’s abused it’s hard for me to get into a track.



No comments:

Post a Comment