NIGHTMARE TOYS

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

DEEP AND HARD SERIS-IOG's CM Carroll Inbox Illusions of Grandeur

1.Why Bass?

Growing up in Philadelphia there were a ton of garage bands in my neighborhood and the two clear thigs you could always hear were the drums and the bass! The Low end  just sounded so good. At about the age of 8 years old I manager to get my 1st guitar and detune it and that same year picked up a peavey bass and I have been going ever since.



2.Do you think it is unfair or just lack of knowledge bass gets so little credit?

I disagree, some of the most credit in metal goes to amazing bassist i.e. Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, Gezer Butler of Black Sabbath and in Hard rock who can deny Geddy Lee’s influence.


3.What kind of bass do you use? Model , color , year , And why

I am currently using a Jackson Custom Spectra bass 5 string. It really fits all my needs as far as tone and tuning range. Been a big fan of Jackson basses for years.  



4.Tell us about your amplification.

I currently do not use any amplification as we run totally direct on stage and I studio. I have been using the Helix system for the past few months and before that a custom setup Sans Amp which is now my backup on tour.


5. With all that being said do you feel tone is an important thing for bass?

I feel that the bass tone can make or break the impact of an album. Bass is the bridge between the drums and guitar and provides a huge amount of frequency in the mix. With the right bass tone an album can be extremely heavy or thin, depending on what you are looking to achieve 


6.Do you prefer 5 strings over 4 string?

I have used both over my career and to me, it really depends on the tunings you are using and the necessity of the added low end 



7.Who is your favorite bassist?

I would have to say I ranges between Jaco Pastorius and Cliff Burton. Both player reimagined the instrument in totally different ways.



8. Who is your least favorite bassist?

 I honestly do not have a least favorite



9.Why do you think women seem to be attracted to playing bass?

It’s the Low End for sure.



10. What bassist dead or alive would you like a private lesson with?

Cliff Burton


11. Bonus question

Bobby Doll , Nikki Sixx , Les Claypool , Billy Sheehan  which is more ridiculous and why



Billy Sheehan, again someone who reimagined the instrument mainly in sound by splitting the bass into a high and low amp set up and really brining in the art of “Shred”. Talas and his time with The David Lee Roth band ( Eat ‘em and smile) are just amazing listening for any up and coming bassist.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment