NIGHTMARE TOYS

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Lost Tribes of the Moon interview

1. Please tell us about the about the band and its members.

Jon: I started writing the material for what became the 3 main songs on our debut album in late 2015. Once I had the songs ready for a band, it actually took a while to settle on a lineup that could function as a live unit and also move forward in a progressive state. Jeremiah was the 1st of the current members to solidify his position on drums. We played together years ago in a black metal band, and he was my ideal drummer based on his style and experience. Janine stepped in next as lead singer a year ago. She played in a few bands around town and I always very much admired her singing talents. Ben joined the band back in May to take over on bass. We did a metal cover band with some mutual friends and I loved how he played more “lead” style bass, which added another dimension to our sound. We've been playing out live for just over a year now, but have played some pretty big shows already, and shared the stage with bands like Today Is The Day, Black Tusk, Ails, Dreadnought, Immortal Bird, and Owl.



2. Who does the majority of the writing? Is it a group thing or does someone handle the writing duties?

Jon: I wrote the compositions of this album, but it was more from the approach of myself trying to get a feel for what elements of different genres of music that I wanted to incorporate into this idea for a band. I had the 3 main songs written before I had a band assembled, and by the time Jeremiah was on board behind drums, we were able to finally shape and edit the songs into versions of what you hear on the album.  Now that there is a solid lineup in tact moving forward, there will be much more collective input into our newer material, which I'm personally excited about.



3.Where is the band based out of ? Where did you want to the band to end up? What was the dream city to have as your home base once you got out of your scene?

Jon: We are based out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I don't think we intend to leave here, because in today's day and age, you can exist anywhere as long as you are social media savvy and willing to travel. I think the days of having to move to major cities in order to make it are pretty much behind us. Being in a major city certainly has it's advantages for a band, but we are comfortable with using our current home as our base to write and work up material . Wisconsin is a decent location for moving around to other parts of the country.



4. What is your genre? What bands do you use to explain  to people what you sound like?


Jon: While “Doom Metal” is a tag we get mostly associated with, I think we offer enough other things in our music to not necessarily be tied down to  just that specific genre.  Bands that were of influence to me when writing what became our debut album were artists like Trouble, Uli Roth era Scorpions, Ozzy and Dio era Sabbath, St. Vitus, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate, and even some black metal like Aura Noir and Primordial.  I'll usually use come combination of those bands to describe to other people what we generally sound like.

5. Can we buy anything from you Cd's shirts etc and where can we buy them?

Jon: Yes indeed! We have CDs available through our Bandcamp page if you follow this link

https://losttribesofthemoon1.bandcamp.com/album/lost-tribes-of-the-moon



6.Do you have studio time lined up anything new coming soon?

Jon: We just released our debut album so that's pretty new, and we're excited to finally be able to share it with everyone! And once we got our new material up to par we'll surely make our way back to the studio to record.



7.Have you ever been on tour? If so where and with who?

Jon: I did a tour primarily on the east coast with my old death metal band face Of Ruin. We were on a big bill with Origin, Cattle Decapitation, Aborted, Decrepit Birth, Rings of Saturn, and Battlecross. That was fun to see some of those bands in action every night. I did a partial tour around the midwest with my old black metal band Shroud Of Despondency and the rest  of the tour out east with my solo dark synth project Cannabinol Synapse. It was in Richmond, VA I met and played  theremin with the band Inter Arma for my first time, and by the time you read this, I'll be in Europe with them for 9 shows opening up for Deafheaven.  Even though I haven't toured a lot, all of them have been of  a big significance on my career.



8.What is your favorite band? Who are the bands who influenced you?

Jon; Based on the tattoo on my leg, I have to say Rush is my fav rock band overall.  Another huge influence on me is Frank Zappa for the ability to compose complex but fun music and stretch the boundaries of music. I really love old prog bands like King Crimson, Peter Gabriel era Genesis, Camel, Eloy, I'm influenced by their themes and more elaborate approaches to rock music. Those bands have been of some influence on me in this band and some other influences that are more prevalent in our sound  are bands like Trouble, Rainbow, Uli Jon Roth era Scorpions, Black Sabbath, St. Vitus, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Venom, Celtic Frost, Manilla Road, M.S.G., and even some black metal like Aura Noir, Bathory, and Primordial.



9.Do you have a website? And do I have to verify that I am 18 to enter it?

Jon: We don't have a website, but we do have a Facebook and Bandcamp page. No age requirements for either one.



10.What about your music do you want people to remember? What is the quality you want to hit people when they hit play?

Jon: I would like to have people remember our dynamics as an ensemble and have our compositions  stand out so that people can distinctly define us in their ears from other bands of similar nature. We want listeners to feel like they are going on a journey while listening to our songs. That may sound cliché or artsy, but that's what we like to hear in music so we apply that to our own sound.



11.Name a person who is integral to your band that nobody knows about , what person drives your band like they are part of the band? Who is the extra member ?

Jon: In this band, we don't  really have a clear cut  single one, at least not yet. We have a lot of friends who have all gave some hand in something  whether it's hauling gear, recording our live sets, guest appearances on recordings, or art work. Currently, quite a few of our friends collectively make up the extra member.



12.Tell nerds like me tell us about your live rig and equipment.

Jon: My primary guitar for this band is an early edition Charvel San Dimas model. My amp is a 100w custom Crate Blue Voodoo that I replaced the transformers and choke with Mercury Magnetics upgrades. I have 2 4x12 Emperor speaker cabs but I only use both when it's necessary. I just picked up a Tyrant cab from my friend Sean who was the designer of Emperor and these cabs sound even better! They have great controlled bass response.

Jeremiah: 1970s Pearl fiberglass 5 piece drumset with a 24” bass drum



Ben: I Play a “Fender Style” custom bass through a Sunn Beta Bass 1x15 combo



13.What is your musical guilty pleasure that you are ashamed of?


Jon: I'm not sure what I would be exactly embarrassed to admit to liking nowadays, but a lot of poppy 80's stuff resonates with a very young childhood  of mine so anything like that. Journey, Men At Work, Eddie Money, 80's Genesis, all that stuff is corny but fun.



14.If you could custom build a band who would be the members?

Jon: Assuming that we are speaking within this current timeline,  and that I was to be in the band too, I'd have Uli Roth do guitars, and I'll gladly play 2nd lead and rhythm to him. On bass I'd get Geddy Lee cuz he's still got plenty of chops and he could do some vocals too.  For lead vocals I'd go with Mike Patton cuz he has a great range and  could do anything we threw at him. On drums I'd get Billy Cobham. And for keyboards (cuz why not?) I'd go with Chick Corea cuz he can cover a wide range of styles.

15.Message to the fans? What is it?

Jon: Thanks for digging our sounds and your support and keep up to date with us through our Facebook page for show schedules and announcements. We hope to see you in your hometown soon!



Social Media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/losttribesofthemoon/

Bandcamp: https://losttribesofthemoon1.bandcamp.com/releases

ClawHammer PR

www.facebook.com/clawhammerpr

www.twitter.com/clawhammerpr

www.youtube.com/clawhammerpr





No comments:

Post a Comment