NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Pulsus - Interview

1. Please tell us about the about the band and its members. 

Well, I'm John. I play guitar. We have Alex Longoria on guitar as well and Ferni Gonzalez on the drum kit. Our vocalist is Justin Duran. We've had this lineup going for close to 2 years now and it's been quite the fun time haha. Alex, Ferni, and I have been in Pulsus since 2015 and we've been through a few people here and there but I would say this lineup is the most solid we've been. We've shared quite a few stages together so I would say our musical connection is very close as well as our personal relationships. We're all into the same things so when we get together, it's always a great time. 


2. Who does the majority of the writing? Is it a group thing or does someone handle the writing duties?

In the first year or so, I was writing the majority of the material due to us lacking a guitarist. Our music was always a collaborative effort, but being I was the only guitarist, most riffs came from me. Once Alex joined, we started trading off riffs and now we record our ideas into full songs and just send them out to each other and write that way. It's very efficient. 

3. Where is the band based out of ? Where did you want to the band to end up? What was the dream city to have as your home base once you got out of your scene?

We're based out of Brownsville, Texas. It's a small city by the Texas-Mexican border. Literally, Texas's ass, haha. We have always dreamt of seeing the world together, playing music for everyone. I think we had all decided San Antonio to be our second home at one point, but that can easily change hahaa. 

4. What is your genre? What bands do you use to explain  to people what you sound like?

We are a metalcore band for sure. We all enjoy bands like Volumes, and Veil of Maya, as well as older bands like As I Lay Dying and Bullet for my Valentine. 

 5. Can we buy anything from you Cd's shirts etc and where can we buy them?

We are currently out of merch and physical copies of our 2017 demo, but we are getting ready to order inventory for the EP we are about to release in December via Confused Records.

6. Do you have studio time lined up anything new coming soon?

We have actually been going to our great friend, Jason Whitney, who runs Chuggernaut Studios in Harlingen, Texas. We've been working on new material to release after we finish our run with Verde which comes out in December. 

7. Have you ever been on tour? If so where and with who?

Our drummer, Ferni, and I have been on tour with our old band, but have not hit the road with Pulsus yet. Pulsus has played in San Antonio and that's as far as we've gotten. We're hoping to get to Laredo and Houston soon. 

8. What is your favorite band? Who are the bands who influenced you?

[John] My  all time favorite band has been Megadeth since I was 14. I was influenced by thrash metal at a very early age, but I mostly listen to bands like Volumes, Periphery, and I enjoy listening to Spanish rock bands like Mana, and Caifanes from time to time. 

9. Do you have a website? And do I have to verify that I am 18 to enter it? 

Ha! All our information, our music, our videos, and photos can be found on our Reverbnation page, and you do not have to be over 18 to enter haha. 

https://www.reverbnation.com/pulsusofficial

10. What about your music do you want people to remember? What is the quality you want to hit people when they hit play?

We want people to feel the joy and excitement we put into our music. We work hard to make sure that feeling is shared when we write and record our music.  

11. Name a person who is integral to your band that nobody knows about , what person drives your band like they are part of the band? Who is the extra member ?

Honestly, I would say our families for supporting us and always being behind us every step of the way. As well as our great friend, Carla Jonas, who helps us out with our social media. 

12. Tell nerds like me tell us about your live rig and equipment.

I [John] use a Schecter Banshee 8 string guitar loaded with active EMG 808 pickups. As far as pedals go, I use a Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive into an MXR Smart Gate straight into my EVH 5150III and Line 6 412 cabinet loaded with Vintage 30s. Alex uses a Legator Telecaster shaped 8 string guitar into his Line 6 PODHD500X and out into a powered Alto speaker and out to front of house. I'm not too sure what our drummer uses but I know Ferni uses a Mapex Armory drum kit with Zildjian cymbals and Vic Firth drumsticks. He uses Evans drum heads and Tama Iron Cobra pedals. 

13.What is your musical guilty pleasure that you are ashamed of?

First album Motley Crue! ha! 

14.If you could custom build a band who would be the members?

That one guy in his garage who writes, records, mixes, masters, and distributes his from his HP laptop. 

15.Message to the fans? What is it?

Don't let negativity suck your life away. Focus on the positive, and look forward to a better future every day. 

16.If you could bring back one metal legend who would it be?

I personally would love to see the great Dimebag Darrell still shredding it up. 

17. Who in the band has the stinkiest feet?

Ha! I'd say Alex, but I have no proof if we're being honest here. 

18. What is the worst album by your favorite band?

Personally, I would say Super Collider by Megadeth definitely takes the trophy for that one, haha. 

19. How do you think your band will break up?

That's a hard question, haha. I don't think we've ever thought about that. Hm, I would say because life gets in the way. Other than that, it's quite hard to imagine not being with Pulsus, haha. 

20.Last but not least , Zepplin or The Who

Definitely Zeppelin! Page's riffs were waaay heavier than Townsends! haha!




No comments:

Post a Comment