NIGHTMARE TOYS

Friday, December 13, 2019

VOKILLS INTERVIEW : Stoz / Forged In Black


1.Please introduce yourself and tell us who you sing for

 Hello my name is Stoz, singer of British Heavy Metal band Forged In Black.
   


2.What / Who made you want to sing?

My mother has always had love for music, so I grew up with the Beatles, Doors and everyone during 60’s-80’s blasting out on the car radio or on in the house. But it wasn’t until hearing Ian Gillan in Jesus Christ Superstar as a child that I really wanted to try my hand at it.


3.Who was the first singer you saw live that gave you chills?

 I was lucky enough to see the Master, Ronnie James Dio with Dio and again with Heaven and Hell. So he was the chill giver for me.

4.Many people say heavy music is just screaming, How would you combat that statement?

 It’s an uneducated statement to make, but in some cases they maybe right, depending on who they have heard or how they define “heavy music”. There are many styles of “screams” be it growls, guttural, falsetto Etc. So if they gave them a chance they may find a style which resonates with them and boosts their Metal listening/enjoyment. They however will learn that clean singing plays a major part in “heavy music” taking Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden as prime examples.

5.If you growl or do harsh vocals how do you keep your voice after such violent performances?

  
I do mostly Falsetto screams, clean signing and only a few growls and just try to rest up, not push too hard live, as monitor quality can vary gig to gig.

6. Do you have a warm up routine? Tell u bout it ?

 I don’t really do much. I like to stretch my neck, jaw and body to limber up. A few humming things to warm up my voice and lips/tongue, so I’m free to enunciate clearer.

7. Do you think power or performance is more important?

 Ultimately both are great, but not everyone needs power. It all depends on your style. I like to be powerful in delivery during the performance as it feels natural. But however you sing I believe you should always be performing for the song, and the audience.

 
8. Who do you think gets unfair vocal praise, someone the world thinks is great but is not? / And who is great but does not get the credit?

 I think whoever has the balls to get up and sing/scream deserves praise however talented. It’s a daunting task but very rewarding.

9.Name your top 5 vocalist

Ronnie James Dio
Ian Gillan
Bruce Dickinson
Rob Halford
Tim Ripper Owens

10.Micheal Buble or Jim Gallette? 
Just testing your skills here - 

after googling I’d have to say Gillette for me, and i'll now be checking more out. ( your welcome wes j)

11.Who do you love to listen to that would surprise people?. 

Dizzy rascal, 2-pac and other hip hop.

12.If you could remove the autotune from any singer who would it be?
 

 Cher
Thank you for your questions and if you’d like to hear me in action, check out our brand new album “Descent Of The Serpent” by Forged In Black. Also our social media channels via www.forgedinblack.com

No comments:

Post a Comment