NIGHTMARE TOYS

Sunday, November 4, 2018

13 PAGAN HOLIDAY 13 INTERVIEW


Tell us about your band, and what you do for the band. I am the drummer for 13 Pagan Holiday 13. 

We are a rock/metal band that is inspired by horror movies, sci-fi, and Halloween.

When did you decide you wanted to be in a band? 
I knew I wanted to play music when I was probably 5 or 6.

What is different about being a musician than you imagined? 
It’s a lot more work than people think. You have to learn how to play, and write. Then you are constantly having to sell yourself, and your bandmates. Then there is lugging your gear around, to play shows.

What gear do you use, and why?
 My drums are Pearl Export series with Aquarian heads. My cymbals are Zildjian. I use ProMark sticks, 5b naturals with nylon tips. These fit my sound and style.

What music do you listen to that would surprise people? 

Probably the big bands from the 30’s and 40’s. Like Glenn Miller, and The Andrew Sisters

How do we find your music and merch to buy? 

We can be found on most download services like iTunes, Amazon, Amazon Music, etc. you can get our merch at a show, or by contacting us through Facebook.


How did you get a record deal? Or do you want a record deal, or stay D.I.Y.? 

We are signed to Jem Records. We were picked up after we released our single Long Shadows Fall on Halloween.
What bands do people compare your music to? 

Alice Cooper, Lordi, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Wednesday 13, Sisters of Mercy
Are you pro Spotify and streaming services, or do you think they hurt sales? 

I have mixed feelings on this. But when it comes down to it, I feel that streaming services strangle the artists. In my opinion, it has really hurt album sales.

What’s the ultimate goal for the band? 

World domination!! But we will settle for getting our music out there for the world to enjoy. Through both live shows and recordings.

Will we see you tour? 
You might.

Who would you love to tour with? 

Alice Cooper, Wednesday 13, Rob Zombie


What is your favorite song of yours, and why? 

It’s a toss up between two songs. Creepshow Peepshow or Long Shadows Fall on Halloween. They are both really fun for me to play, and I really like the lyrics.


Why should people take the time to listen to your band, over the thousands of other bands?

 Because I asked them to. Just kidding, but we are different from most bands. We are a bunch of horror and sci-fi fans. We try to tell a story with our music. We give our listeners an escape from the everyday in 3 to 5 minute journeys. 


What are your favorite music websites, labels, podcasts, etc.?

 I use IHeart Radio sometimes. I don’t really stream music that much. I’m just starting to listen to podcasts, so I can’t really pick a favorite one. As far as labels go, it would depend on what I’m looking for.


Is imagery important to you? Do you judge albums by the cover? 


Yes, and no. The album cover needs to represent the album. You wouldn’t want to see Ozzy dressed in a tux, posing like he’s going to prom or a wedding, on the cover of Bark at the Moon.


If you could choose a cover song your band mates would hate, what would it be? That’s a really hard question. 

Our musical tastes are so diverse that it’s hard to find a song they would hate. I guess I could go with Nirvana’s Teen Spirit.


Is the record, or live show more important? 

They are both equally important. You need to bring it at every show. Imagery and sound, both should be tight and over the top. But you need a good record for people to take home. Some bands fail at one or the other, and it’s always a disappointment when they do. Think about a band you love, that suck when you see them live. Or how you discover a band live that brings it. Only to get an album, and it’s horrible. I do my best to avoid letting any fans down with shitty live shows, or bad song writing.


Name three people, dead or alive, you would want to play your music for. Buddy Rich, Alice Cooper, and Frank Zappa.

No comments:

Post a Comment