NIGHTMARE TOYS

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

THE AXEMEN SERIES : Brian Platter /The Last Reign


 1.Tell us your name and the band you play for



Brian Platter, The Last Reign




2. Who made you want to pick up the guitar


Originally I picked up guitar because of bands like Dream Theater and Iron Maiden, but what solidified it was Stevie Ray Vaughn after I watched the Legends story on VH1.




3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?



I took lessons very early on for about a year and a half, but I

didn’t really take to them very well and was lazy. I feel it helped

springboard me initially, however, I would still say I’m fairly

self taught.




4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?




I can decipher music but I can’t read it and play on the fly.

Although I can kind of do that with tab if I know the song. I do

wish I was more adversed in music theory, but I’m working on it.

.




5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?



I have been told that I have my own style of playing which relates to the sound. Tone is a different beast because that depends on your amp and guitar. 



6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color

)



I have two primary guitars that I use on a regular basis. A Schecter C-1 Classic that I bought new in 2004 and a Jackson SH3 Soloist that I purchased used in 2017. Also, I recently took the plunge and order a Vanisher Kiesel. 



7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about

them



Both of my guitars play beautifully, but they sound so much better with the Bare Knuckle pickups I upgraded them with as well as D’Addario NYXL strings. I am a big proponent of passive pickups. I’ve used a few active ones before and I really did not care for how they sounded. 




8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers

etc





I have had a 5150 II head and matching cab for basically as long as I can remember. It’s the best fit for me and it always performs. The one adjustment I made on the head was a different pre-amp tube which gave it a great sounding clean tone. Something that 5150’s are definitely not known for. 


9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy


I do have a pedal board. I’m a full on analog fan but I keep it simple. Wah, Harmonize, Delay, Boost, Noise gate and Tuner. However, I did recently pick up the EHX Super Switcher and plan to fully automate my board so I don’t have to tap dance any more. 








10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..


In all honesty, I’m pretty close to my dream rig despite it’s simplicity. I don’t need much. 








11.What guitarist can you not stand?


Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom






I12. Is tone more important or is technique?


Technique all the way. If you can’t play, tone doesn’t matter. 






13. Name your top 5 guitarist


These are the top 5 most influential guitarists. My list of top 5 continues to change. 


Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dimebag Darrell (Pantera), Chuck Schuldiner (Death), Jesper Stromblad (In Flames), John Petrucci (Dream Theater)






14.Who is the most overrated guitarist


Kerry King





15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with

anyone dead or alive?




Stevie Ray Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment