NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, August 3, 2020

On this episode of An Old School Album Review we're discussing UNTO THE WOLVES YEAR III release.

On this episode of An Old School Album Review we're discussing UNTO THE WOLVES from Idaho, specifically the YEAR III release.



We've worked with Gage previously and I gotta start with this.. YEAR I and YEAR II were amazing.. each song is based off a different religious theme from all areas of the world.. YEAR III follows that same path. 
This has always been amazing work, solid musicianship,  and top notch mixing and mastering. 
I gotta say, when I know Unto the Wolves is scheduled, I hafta clear out about 3 hours on my schedule because the music just takes that much time to analyze, but I've never been disappointed. In fact, a few of the songs have been some of the best new music I've heard in years!!!

Let's get started with the interview:

Tuning: Drop C

Concept behind these three albums:
"Unto the Wolves" is a Metal project with one goal in mind, to inspire tolerance and acceptance of all races, religious beliefs, and cultures.

Inspirations:
Every song is inspired by a different culture, religion, historical event or location. The songs are not based on these things, but rather served as inspiration for the ideas behind the songs.

Similarities and differences between the albums:
Each album has a collection of songs which are always inspired by the previously mentioned. However, each album does evolve a bit. As I continue to hone my mixing and mastering skills, the the overall feel of the albums evolve as well. I will say this album does have a bit more complex drum work and the overall mix as a little bit more low-end heavy than the previous albums.

Plans for the future :
Yes, starting next month I'm going to begin working on a trilogy for an EP. One in which the patrons of the until the wolves patreon will be able to hear as it's being created. After which, I begin working on the next album, year 4.


We'll start with our reviews:

"I listened to the songs form Unto The Wolves. I liked the songs they are good. Like the way the song is written. And the music with either song is well thought out. So I would recommend the band to people who like heavy metal music."

Michele Loflin 
Staff writer/journalist at MCPR and An Old School Album Review 


Jeremy Amack 
Staff writer/journalist at MCPR and An Old School Album Review 
The Band Repent


A RESONANCE (SPEAKING STONES)

I love how scary this starts out..
Musical genius..
Son of a..
Love that riff right before the build up..
Amazing lyrics..
This is just a sledgehammer from beginning to end. 

STEADFAST (CHURCH OF ALL WORLDS)

Ok this gets you going immediately..
Love that chugging pattern..
I'd like to see this live..
Sudden tempo changes..
Lyrics have a lot of meaning..
Perfectly placed leads..
I just loved this, the softer parts were well done.

THE PACIFIST (ITALIAN CULTURE)
featuring  Kiara Laetitia

Guitar work is awesome..
I liked the keyboard part..
Layered vocals sound great..
Timing is always perfect..
It's hard to believe this is all done by one person..
Guest vocals are well done..
The explosion was kewl..
Lots of timing shifts..
Solid song.

EYE OF THE BEHOLDER (ICELANDIC CULTURE)

I always appreciate the sound effects..
Such a great blend..
This song seemed to feature a different vocal style which was matched perfectly with the leads..
Loved the lyrics and how it ended.

VALIDATION INCARNATE (SWEDEN)

Intresting way to start a song, super good..
This one is my favorite so that's saying a lot right there..
The acoustic part in the middle was really good..
Great build up to carry the song out in the most brutal way.. with carnage!!!

FRACTURE (KOREA)

Nice delay/phazer effect..
What a way to start a song!!!
Totally crushing main riff..
Really flows up and down with the sound here..
Another solid song, scary lyrics. 

THE SCARS ALIGNMENT (CUBA)

Has a TOOL vibe..
Strange timing to pull off in the beginning, but he nails it..
Love the groove to this..
This one just jams out, was really good, sounded amazing. 

CALMING OF THE NEUROSIS (MIDEVIL EUROPE)

Welp, this one punches you in the face right away..
SIC background riff .
Has that From Ash to Stone feel to it with the well placed pinch harmonics..
Always love the sound of a thunderstorm in a song..
I look over, and Deena is headbanging, enough said!!!

THE CATALYST HORIZON (JAINISM)

The sounds achieved on this are just top notch..
Moments of raw power and that groove at the 2:40 mark is just killer.. this song was awesome. 

ADAPTIVE NATURE (RUSSIA)

This starts out awesome..
The slower vibe is really good I like it..
This song takes a while to build up but it ends well.

A CULTURE OF MACHINES (NEO-LUDDISM)

Here's some hammers!!!
I dig those higher scaled power chords leading into a solid groove, with some awesome harmonics work..
Lyrics slam into the song..
There's some serious riffing here..
Lyrics are really good  it amazes me what he talks about. 

We've attached the latest video release for this song

https://youtu.be/gjK3AOJ4C7w

VILLAIN AND FIEND (SCOTTISH FOLKLORE)
featuring Mitch Edwards 

Well this song is certainly on!!!
Smooth entrance into a busted nose..
The groove is stellar..
Love the different approach on the vocals during the "monster" lyrics part..
Steady drive to this with a thumping bottom line..
Evil Incarnate.. pure and simple. 

Overall I was not disappointed by this album, I was looking forward to it when I got the assignment.
We always enjoy working with UNTO THE WOLVES. 

PLEASE FOLLOW THEM HERE:



No comments:

Post a Comment