NIGHTMARE TOYS

Monday, July 6, 2020

THE AXEMEN GUITAR INTERVIEW : Mat Lynch, Pissing Razors



1.Tell us your name and the band you play for

Mat Lynch, Pissing Razors

2.Who made you want to pick up the guitar

A neighborhood friend named Ruben Williams whom I grew up with. He is more like a big brother and got me interested in playing when I was 13.  His uncle JR was a guitarist and had instruments laying around the house they lived in, he allowed us to use them and helped guide us early on. 

3.Are you self taught or did you take lessons?


Mostly self-taught. A few accomplished local guitarists showed me things here and there early on.  I mostly learned from watching others play live and then mimic their hand positioning. A friend name Fuji owned a small venue in El Paso called Saso’s and he would allow me to watch the shows at his place when I was still underage. I would take mental notes and then go home immediately after the shows to try and duplicate what I saw.  

4. Can you read music, Can you read tab?

I learned music theory in high school but never applied it so I’ve forgotten most of it. 
.

5.Do you feel like you have your own sound / tone ?

I definitely feel like I have a particular style that Ive worked to develop over a long timeframe. I’m way more intrigued with catchy rhythms versus flashy solos, but if I do play solos I try to make them memorable over speed and complex technique. I’ve also admittedly borrowed many little techniques from some of my favorite guitarists. I think many musicians do that. My tone has been a pretty standard 5150 style since the mid 90’s. 
  

6.Tell us about your guitar ( brand ,model . year , color )

Ive historically used Les Paul guitars and don’t have much in the way of a collection of guitars. I’ve played the same 96 Black Les Paul Studio with gold hardware and EMG pickups since getting it in 96, although lately I’ve used ESP guitars both in the studio and live. I also own an original Ibanez Iceman. 



7.What about pickups? Passive or active ? Tell us about them

Active EMG’s. They sound great and have all the attack and high, mid and low contour that suits my playing and my ear. 


8.Lets get into amplification, Same drill brand , model , speakers etc

I currently use the Axe FXII with a Matrix 1000 single rack amplifier into 2 5150 4x12 cabs. I also own 2 5150 heads that sound great and my Axe presets are mostly geared around the 5150 tone. 

9.Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy

I use the Fractal MFC 101 midi foot controller for the Axe FxII unit. 

10..Now tell us your Dream Rig in detail…..

A wall of 5150 white 4x12 cabs with a rack full of 5150 block letter heads to power them… Tube Screamer drive pedal and a Dunlop wah pedal. Thats it-

11.What guitarist can you not stand?

Tough question, I can seriously say I respect anyone willing to get in front of a crowd to perform. That said, I’ll take any guitarist who knows how to attack a single memorable note with style versus one that tries to cram a bunch of them into a forgettable mess… 
  

12. Is tone more important or is technique?

I think they are both important, depending on how they are both applied.  You find a decent balance between the two, you’ll do well for yourself-

13. Name your top 5 guitarist

Stevie Ray Vaughn,
James Hetfield,
Malcolm Young
Eddie Van Halen,
Randy Rhoads

14.Who is the most overrated guitarist

Another tough one-  I’ll refer back to my previous answer and say I prefer taste over flash.

15.Who would you like a one hour private sit down lessons with anyone dead or alive?

Stevie Ray Vaughn 

No comments:

Post a Comment