NIGHTMARE TOYS

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

VOKILLS INTERVIEW : Joe “Razor” Rodriguez Pissing Razors

1.Please introduce yourself and tell us who you sing for

Joe “Razor” Rodriguez, vocals for Pissing Razors

2.What / Who made you want to sing?

I sang in Choir briefly for my middle school, but mainly I grew up listening to KISS so that was my immediate influence. Although I originally was drawn to the guitar, which I picked up at the age of 11 because of my dad. As I grew older, my ear was turned on to Queensryche’s Geoff Tate, Ray Alder (Fates Warning), Rob Halford (Judas Priest) and King Diamond, and there the interest to sing began.

3.Who was the first singer you saw live that gave you chills?

I saw Queensryche in 1986 and I was blown away.
  

4.Many people say heavy music is just screaming, How would you combat that statement?

For the most part, heavy music has some or a lot of screaming, depending on the style. However, there is a personal technique that a person would or I would use to have to master or incorporate screaming, growling etc. in order to maintain the voice for this purpose. Many of us have toured extensively for years and just screaming with no technique would definitely destroy someone’s vocal cords.

5.If you growl or do harsh vocals how do you keep your voice after such violent performances?

As I previously mentioned, doing any kind of harsh, hard, or growling vocals with no technique will destroy your vocal chords. The key thing for me over the years is a lot of rest, minimal alcohol intake, and a pre-warm up before any performance. Not to say I didn’t beat myself up early in the years pretty good before I figured out I needed to rest, not drink like a savage, and warm up…. Hahaha

6. Do you have a warm up routine? Tell u bout it ?

Warm ups before a performance are a must and yes lots of rest, breathing and stretching techniques I have done, a key thing for me is a humidifier works wonders.



7. Do you think power or performance is more important?

I think power and performance need to be projected almost simultaneously. For me it gives a better sense of portraying the message or story in a song that I’m trying to get across to the crowd or in the studio.

8. Who do you think gets unfair vocal praise, someone the world thinks is great but is not? / And who is great but does not get the credit?
  

Vocal praise…hmmm tough question. It is quite the challenge to get up in front of a few people much less a lot of people. Anyone who can get up there and get the best performance of themselves I believe deserves vocal praise and credit period. We are our own worst critics. More power to us all.

9.Name your top 5 vocalist
Geoff Tate
Ray Alder
Rob Halford
Bruce Dickinson
Chris Cornell, and too many more to mention
  

10.Micheal Buble or Jim Gallette? Just testing your skills here

Well Michael Buble has amazing vocals for a nice relaxing evening. Jim Gillette (NITRO), oh and I remember Metal Methods Vocal Power, and yes he was also married to Lita Ford

11.Who do you love to listen to that would surprise people?

People who really know me understand that I am pretty open when it comes to music, but I love to listen to David Koz, Steely Dan and Donald Fagen.

12.If you could remove the autotune from any singer who would it be?


I really don’t know of anyone that uses Autotune. I would hope that the best effort is done without it, but who am I to judge…. Horns up everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment