NIGHTMARE TOYS

Friday, January 17, 2020

Devour Once Dead Deserve To Die EP review by Allyson Kingsley music journalist with Metal coffee

Devour Once Dead
Deserve To Die 
EP review by Allyson Kingsley music journalist with Metal coffee 



Lineup:
Vince Conway- vocals
Cody Shipp- Lead Guitar
Chris Dolphin-Lead Guitar
Nick Goodwinl-Drums
Jason Verbeski-bass


   I must say this was one hell of a surprise. From the unlikely place of Iowa, Devour Once Dead, who formed in 2009, do not fit into any one particular metal category. Rather they collectively embrace all aspects of what our beloved genre has to offer. They are described as theatrical thrash but Devour Once Dead are so much more. I did multiple listens to their EP Deserve to Die and still picked each song apart and found so many influences embedded within.
  Let's say you have a liking for Lamb of God, check out the song "Dead Beat". If you listen to it closely again you'll hear the palpable hardcore influence as well. I'm digging the bone crushing anger of "Stupid" and fuck knows I want to belt this song out at work sometimes. Channeled aggression. 
   "Your Stabbed Brain" is what I would picture Rob Zombie singing if he did some death metal vocals. Its monstrous and makes you want to take up your swords and go pillage villages. 
  "Anchor Baby" is my favorite track on this EP, so much so that it made it to my driving list on Spotify. Reminds me a bit of Atilla with some badass breakdowns and riffs to get you pumped. When you blast this the whole song goes through you and gives you that delicious skingasm feeling. Look that up, it's science.
   "Burial Assurance" has an old school speed metal combined with death metal vibe. Scare your non metal friends when they drive with you. We finish off with"Everyone is Plagued" which sums up in a gnarled cacophonous way how I feel right now as the whole of New England is inundated with the flu. Again, more crazy riffs and breakdowns to induce bedlam. What a kickass album this is and I might sell some organs (not necessarily my own) to go see them perform live. 









No comments:

Post a Comment