NIGHTMARE TOYS

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Days To Come - Interview



Interviewed by: 

Wes Jaques

Metal Coffee PR

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma



Photo courtesy of: Crown Artist Development



Days To Come is: Justin Goodson - vocals/guitar

Brandon Rix - guitar

Jalen Hall - drums



Q: Thanks for your time. Tell us about your band and what you do for your band.



A: Brandon - We’re a hard rock band based out of Albany, Georgia. We enjoy fusing pop-styled vocal melodies with heavier, progressive, musical tones. I’m the guitarist and also the entire hr staff.



Q: When did you decide you wanted to be in a band?



A: Justin - I started playing the guitar when I was 17 and I knew then that I really wanted to play in a band. I started taking singing seriously in my 20s and Days To Come officially formed in 2014.



Q: What is different about being a musician than you imagined?



A: Justin - There is a lot more work involved than I originally thought! Being in a band is a business and I’ve had to learn many lessons the hard way - trial and error.



Q: What gear do you use and why?



A: Justin - I endorse Curt Mangan Strings, Spectraflex Cables, and InTune Guitar Picks. All of these companies put their artists first and make quality products. I’m very happy to work with each of them. I also play PRS Guitars and Mesa Boogie Amps.



Q: What music do you listen to that would surprise people?



A: Jalen - I listen to a lot of folk metal.



Q: How do we find your music and buy your merch?



A: Brandon - We’re on all of the social sites as @daystocomemusic. You can listen to our music on iTunes, Spotify, Youtube, etc. You can find our merch on our website - daystocomemusic.com.



Q: How did you get a record deal?  Or do you want a deal or are you DIY?



A: Justin - We’re currently working with the Pennsylvania based indie label From The Depths Entertainment. We have a strong work ethic and wish to stay DIY/indie for as long as we’re able to.



Q: What bands do people compare your music to?



A: Jalen - Alter Bridge and Coheed And Cambria.



Q: Are you pro Spotify / streaming services? Or do you think it hurts sales?



A: Justin - We live in a culture where art, in its many forms, is expected to be free. The listener will continue to find ways to get music for free and we, as artists, need to find creative ways to deal with it, rather than simply complain that it is happening. Streaming services (like Spotify) help expose artists to listeners as well as make it difficult for those artists to sell their music.



Q: What’s the ultimate goal for the band?



A: Justin - I would like Days To Come to make a positive impact on the world. I want our music to positively change someone’s life. Music is powerful and I believe we can do it.



Q: Will we see you tour?



A: Brandon - Absolutely! We’re working on a few for 2019.



Q: Who would you love to tour with?



A: Jalen - Sevendust.



Q: What is your favorite song of yours and why?



A: Justin - My favorite song off of our first EP is Essex. It’s a deep song that challenged me as a lyricist and songwriter.



Q: Why should people take the time to listen to your band over the thousands of other bands?



A: Justin - I feel like, very few artists are willing to take chances. They want to play it safe with their sound, image, and songwriting formula. So many modern rock bands sound like each other and it’s easy to become white noise. Our sound, lyrical content, and attitude are different from other bands. We may not please everyone, but we’re also not trying to.



Q: What are your favorite music websites, labels, podcasts, etc?



A: Justin - I really dig the Smart Music Business podcast and Ari’s Take music blog. I’m a big fan of DIY/indie music industry insight. I love all of the musician documentaries on Netflix. I’m also a fan of thehardtimes.net.



Q: Is imagery important to you? Do you judge albums by the cover?



A: Jalen - Imagery is very important. It can sometimes be what initially draws or pushes someone away from a band or artist.



Q: If you could chose a cover song your band mates would hate, what would it be?



A: Jalen - California Gurls by Katy Perry.



Q: Is the record or live show more important?



A: Justin - Both? They’re both completely different but equally as important. I love writing and being in the studio, but I also love playing shows and performing.



Q: Name three people dead or alive you would want to play your music for.



A: Jalen - Layne Staley, Jimmy “the rev” Sullivan, and Chris Cornell.



Q: Lemmy, Ozzy, Dio, and Rob Halford in a cage match. Who wins?



A: Brandon - Lemmy is a tank. I’m going with him for the win.



No comments:

Post a Comment