NIGHTMARE TOYS

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

THE BATTERY SERIES : Allan Bone Every Mother’s Nightmare








My name is Allan Bone and I play drums for Every Mother’s Nightmare

2.Who made you want to play drums and why?


I remember seeing Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show when I was really young.
I was blown away and I that’s when I got the itch. Then I discovered Kiss and
Peter Criss had the coolest kit.
 



3.When did you get your first kit? Tell us about it…


After 4 years of begging for a drum kit every Christmas and birthday I finally broke my
Mom down. My 14th birthday was coming up and a friend of mine had a little 4 piece kit he was selling for $50. I was like c’mon mom  it’s only$50 and it’s all I want. My dad wasn’t thrilled when he came home but it was a done deal. It was a Maxitone kit. I’ve never heard or seen another one. It was a blue marine pearl finish with an old zildjian ride and some no name hi hats. I saved my money and added a crash and a set of roto toms over the next year because back then it wasn’t cool to play a 4 piece kit.

4.Where your parents supportive of you and your loud / expensive new habit?


My parents quickly established a “no drums when they were home” rule. My dad just knew I would lose interest in a month or so.

5.What drum performance on an album is perfection to you?


 

Almost anything Bonzo played. “When the Levee Breaks” is a great example of how laying down a relatively  simple groove can be perfection. It’s all about time, pocket, tones, and feel.

6.Tell us about your current kit and set up in DETAIL


 

My current touring kit is a-special edition Ludwig Vistalite kit. It’s the kit they made for Jason Bonham when he did the Celebration Day show/dvd. The shells are yellow with black hardware and the classic Bonzo sizes. 26” kick, 14, 16, & 18” toms and it came with a 6 ½”x 14” chrome Supraphonic with black hardware which is my favorite snare drum. I play black dot heads on the batter side of the toms and kick because they really work with the acrylic shells. Clear emperors on the resonant side of the toms. On my snare I play the coated emperor X on the batter side. My cymbal setup is all Zildjian except for my ride, which is an old Paiste 20” color sound. I really love the bell on that cymbal and I’ve been playing it for a long time. Hi hats are 14”
Zildjian Mastersounds, and crashes are all Zildjian Rezo series; currently 19”, 18”, and 2 17”. 
Kick pedal is a DW 5000 double.

7.If you could have a dream kit tell us about it in DETAIL


 

I really love the kit I’m playing now but if I could build one I would stay with the same sizes and maybe go with a stainless or chrome finish.

8.Name your top 5 drummers excluding Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy
Top 5 drummers would have to be 

John Bonham,
Brian Tichy,
Deen Castronovo,
Tommy Aldridge, 
Eric Singer

9. Do you prefer Live or Studio?


I enjoy the writing and recording process but I’ll take being on the road and playing for a crowd any day. Live is where it’s at for me. There’s nothing like the energy you get when a crowd is digging what you’re doing.  It’s crack!

10.Do drummers really get all the chicks and if so how do we convince the guitarist?


I can only speak for myself, but I tend to do just fine in that department. No complaints here. If tour guitarist tries  to argue just pop him in the nose… or break his middle finger on his fret hand. Hahahaha 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment