NIGHTMARE TOYS

Saturday, November 30, 2019

THE AXEMEN SERIES : Matt / Ingraves

https://www.facebook.com/IngravesUK/
Tell your name and what band you play for:

My name is Matt and I play guitar for Ingraves

Who made you want to pick up the guitar?


Dimebag Darrell, Kurt Cobain, Hetfield (but not Kirk),all the usual greats

Are you self taught or did you take lessons?


 

I started with lessons as had no idea where to begin and the internet was in it’s infancy back then! Nowadays there is so much information you can find out anything and get tabs for any song you can think of. Lessons helped me get the basic essential playing techniques that you can then build on from there.

Can you read music, can you read tab?


I did some classical guitar a long time ago and piano so can read standard sheet music, although not that fast! I read tabs and it’s a must. We use it a lot for tabbing out new ideas so we can hit the ground running when we get together to work on new stuff.

Do you feel like you have your own sound/tone?


I don’t think my ear is sophisticated enough for me to have my own tone, or am just a bit lazy! Once I get something I like I stick with it. As we play in such low tunings I try to push the mids and let the bass guitar provide the lows.

Tell us about your guitar (brand, model, year, colour)



 

I currently have 2 guitars I use:
Jackson Pro Series Juggernaut HT7 in charcoalburst 2018. This is the Misha Mansoor signature edition and I’m not even really a huge misha fan (he is good though!). This 7 string has a great neck, 26.5” scale which is again good for maintaining our low tuning and it looks pretty cool!
My preferred is the Ibanez RGIB6 Baritone, Black (what else) 2017. This has mighty 28” scale length , super smooth and fast 3 piece Maple/Purpleheart neck with Basswood body. This is great for low and heavy! It has no tone knob just killswitch and volume with a fixed bridge.
Both guitars are fixed bridge as I don’t fancy having a Floyd rose at drop G with, unless its blocked off, I run .74 string on the heavy end. I run a custom string set on the 7 and a regular Baritone set from .72 to .13 and the Baritone.

What about pickups? Passive or active? 


Tell us about them
On the Jackson I have the stock Jackson MM1 humbuckers which I believe were made with Jackson and Misha Mansoor as an alternative to using actual Bareknuckle Juggernaughts. They are a passive that throw out loads of gain and can be split to single coil. They sound great and are exactly suited to this particular guitar but, being honest, I wouldn’t use any passive pickup any more. I will be changing this 7 string out for something else soon!
The Ibanez has EMG60 (NECK) AND 81(BRIDGE) active and there isn’t anything better!


Lets get in to amplification, same drill brand, model, speakers etc


 

I am using the Boss Katana 100 head and Laney Ironheart 2 x 12 cab. Both not really beatable for their pricepoint, easy to transport, and pretty bulletproof so far. I set up everything on the computer in the tone suite and very rarely get it all the way up to 100W.

Do you have a pedal board? Tell us about that badboy


As I use my amp for all patches then I run a simple set up of Boss TU-3 to keep me in tune and a TC Electric Sentry noise gate to control all those unwanted extra sounds and keep everything tight

Now tell us your dream rig in detail


Currently, I’d say Mesa Dual Rectifier 3 channel, with Orange 4 x 12 Vintage 30s. I probably add couple of Fortin pedals (Blade, Zuul). Either all that or a Kemper with some custom profiles set up by a guru somewhere!

What guitarist can you not stand?


I couldn’t pick any one player to bag on but just because you can finger tap like a beast doesn’t mean you can write a good riff!

Is tone more important or technique?


Technique I’d say. Bad playing with good tone is still bad playing, bad riffs with good tone still suck!

Name your top 5 guitarists?


Andreas Kisser,

 Brent Hinds,
 Mike Schleibaum ,
 Zakk Wylde,
 Dimebag, and so many other greats

Who is the most overrated guitarist?


Hard to pin down but The Edge looks pretty out his depth when you put him with any decent guitarist!

Who would you like a one hour private sit down lesson with? Anyone dead or alive


I reckon Vogg from Decapitated is very underrated and would have loads of great insight for riffs with his background. Also he’s trubo gear guy so that’d be interesting too to see what tips could be picked up!










WWW.THEMETALMOOSE.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment