NIGHTMARE TOYS

Saturday, November 30, 2019

THE DEEP END SERIES : PREY UPON " GIRLS PLAY BASS, I WAS UN AWARE LOL"



https://www.facebook.com/preyuponofficial/

1.Why Bass?

 I play guitar and a bit of keyboards as well. Just like playing music. But I first picked up a bass as a teenager wanting to learn Primus songs. I find myself playing bass in bands more often because it’s been more common that I meet musicians looking for a bass player.

2.Do you think it is unfair or just lack of knowledge bass gets so little credit?

 I don’t think bass gets too little credit at all.

3.What kind of bass do you use? Model , color , year , And why Currently I’m working with a Spear Se 5 string. It’s a sick instrument with a natural dark wood finish. A good friend of mine introduced me to the brand when he found a red 4 string version years ago. I fell in love with the feel of the neck and the on board electronics. It’s got active/passive switch and 3 band eq built into it. I finally got mine earlier this year. It’s got a fancy looking body style and it’s extremely versatile with tone. Favorite instrument I own by a landslide.
   


4.Tell us about your amplification The only bass cab I have or ever would want to spend money on is my Ampeg 8x10. The thing has a depth to it that I find unparalleled. With heads I am much more open minded about but I currently use a Mark Bass Little Mark Tube 800. Sounds great when it’s cranked up. It has a gradient knob that lets you choose between solid state, tube, and different blends. The other feature I love is the VPF or variable pre-shape filter. When you turn the knob up it cuts the lower mids while simultaneously boosting the lows and highs. Gives the tone tons of thump And brightness without getting too twangy and overwhelming the band’s mix. Makes the rig sound monstrous. 
  


5. With all of that being said do you feel tone is an important thing for bass? Well obviously. Tone is important for any instrument, vocals included. It’s the first thing the ear picks up on, musically inclined or not. 

6.Do you prefer 5 strings over 4 string? Absolutely. I like higher tension on my bass strings and I play with slightly higher action than other bassists I talk to. So it’s more comfortable for me than dropping the tuning on a 4 string.  Also I like to play a lot of different genres so having the convenience of not having to retune all the time is important to me. If I don’t need the 5th string I don’t play it.

7.Who is your favorite bassist? That’s a tough one for me. I have a pretty eclectic taste so I have a hard time picking my favorite anything most of the time. Ryan Martinie, Les Claypool, Marcus Miller, Geezer Butler have all had big influences on my playing. 

8. Who is your least favorite bassist? A guitarist. 

9.Why do you think women seem to be attracted to playing bass? I was unaware of this info. I guess I would say it depends on the individual.

10. What bassist dead or alive would you like a private lesson with? Marcus Miller. Not just for playstyle, but attitude.
  

11. Bonus question Bobby Doll , Nikki Sixx , Les Claypool , Billy Sheehan  which is more ridiculous and why?


 If by ridiculous you mean dope as fuck, Les Claypool. I’ve been enamored by his creativity and uniqueness for years. Same goes for Ler and all the drummers of Primus. 

* EDITORS NOTE: I made a picture for you 
he he he........

Prey Upon IS a Metal Coffee band! To Join Metal Coffee just go here www.themetalmoose.com




No comments:

Post a Comment